[BoST Call, May 23, 2016] – General Call of provisional BoST No 14


#1

Meeting of the provisional and open OSCEdays Board of Stewardship (@BoST) - See full list of BoST meetings here.


We will meet at 10am GMT on Skype on May 23, 2016

Do you want to join? Let us know - ping @Lars2i and @sharmarval


UPDATE: A lot of people could not make it. And the rest had only 30min time. So we made a Quick Agenda with the most important stuff. See comment below.

##AGENDA
What should we discuss? Please add things here (post is a wiki) or as a comment below.

MODERATOR of this call: @Lars2i

##1 Hi

1.1 Who is going to document?

1.2. How are you? / Do we have new people in the call? Please introduce yourself and tell us how you are today.

##2. Weekly meetings till the event?
@Lars2i: should we have a meeting every week till the event starts? It is only 2 weeks to go. So we have two more instead of only one meeting.

Next one could be on May 30 - 7pm GMT and then June 6 – 10am GMT

##3. (Documentation 1) Global Video Reporting/Hangouts is set up
@Lars2i: The global reporting is set up. There is complete guide for local hosts, community mails to send out and so on. Introduction to it by Lars. Feedback?

.+ Please sign up to host at least two calls.

.+ Where to spread the call? To get more global hosts? (we got 22 spots to fill)

##4. (Documentation 2) Survey about local events
@Lars2i We planned a Survey for local events - to fill out by the local reporters, that will be announced by the local organizers as part of the global Reporting program. Are we happy with the questions to ask?

##5. (Documentation 3) Twitter Robot
@Lars2i Here is a little idea about how to document what is going on at twitter during the event. What do you think?

Last year there were a lot of #OSCEdays tweets. Did we announce this? Can’t remember.

##6. Mentorship Program needs a push
@Lars2i The mentorship program is set up but no new mentors have signed up. How can we push it. Any updates from your 100 scientists @JayKay or from the EMF?

##7. Global Challenge on OSCE association?
@Lars2i - I was thinking about making the future of OSCEdays and OSCE association a global challenge to discuss during the event. What do you think? UPDATE: I had a different idea regarding this yesterday. I will write something up and come back to you with it.

##8. Communication to the Community - Planning of Community Mails
@Lars2i We have a number of messages to send to the local organizers. We should collect them and plan smartly. What is missing

  1. Global Reporting Mail - Announce global reporters - planned to send on May 23

  2. Global Challenges: A Mail to announce the global challenges (Zero Waste, Business Model, Mentorship Program - and eventually the Association Challenge) - (should we include this also in a newsletter) - When to send?

  3. Reminder Mail Global Reporting. We will have to send at least one reminder mail to the local organizers or almost noone will show up to the hangouts. - planned for May 30

##9. This Video - Contradicting Messages & Global Communication

Have a look. The Berlin Community did this video.

I think we need to discuss it because it raises a lot of questions.

I think it comes with a bunch of problems:

(1) The Message - “I used to be a table”,right, and now you are a useless piece of wood to send a digital (and also printed out) message. You got transformed from a multi use tool into a single use … If not this, the video sends at least an “Upcycling message”. So it contradicts the message of OSCEdays. / It looks like video made by people that thought for the first time about CE for this video…
(2) It is not shared under a CC-License - Contradicts the message
(3) It (and the flyer that comes with it) does not use the OSCEdays Fonts and Colors. (gold-color for the font)

All of this is totally not a problem - it doesn’t need to be. We are decentralized and should be strong enough to take this. But it could be seen as a problem - because the video is not branded “OSCEdays Berlin” but general “OSCEdays”!

I wonder two things (maybe you can think of more)

  1. Should we ask them to change the bit at the end and make clear that this video is about OSCEdays Berlin (I think yes)
  2. Can we think of something that prevents stuff like this from happening (probably not)

##10. Newlsetter information

@sharmarval will send it Tuesday morning and again next week…apologies this has slipped a bit.

##11. Drop the Community Calls
@Lars2i – As expected the community calls aren’t attended by community members - there is no need for them at the moment. I think we should drop them. What do you think?

I think in the future with a different Onboarding Strategy there will be a need for them. But for now…

##12. Robin Hood Cooperative
I (@cameralibre) proposed OSCE e.V. as a partnership project to Robin Hood, an activist hedge fund which uses an algorithm called ‘The Parasite’ to mimic the best actors in financial markets and earn money for the commons.
This year the whole hedge fund industry took a huge hit (probably good for the world, but bad for Robin Hood) so there are no profits to invest, BUT they want to design crowdfunding mechanisms and smart contracts for projects like ours to access financing. I talked to one of the organisers, there is good potential for some kind of collaboration. We will need to come up with some ideas, but this probably isn’t a priority before the event itself. More info in the call, and coming soon to an OSCEdays forum near you!

##13. Updates & Ideas from Grit
Updates and Ideas from @Grit (See comment below)

##14. …

please add


##Next Call

Next BoST Call is May 30, 7pm GMT

Who is going to be the moderator of the next call and the deputy?


A Global Challenge on the OSCE association and how to foster a global community?
[BoST] OSCEdays Board Of Stewardship – About, Meetings & How To Join
READ ME FIRST: OSCEdays Global Communication
[BoST Call, May 30, 2016] – General Call of provisional BoST No 15
#2

Agree with no 7. Will not make it to the call. Take care, Silvia


#3

No 7 sounds good if feasible. I won’t be in the call because I’ll have to be in work.


#4

@TechnicalNature is also out - because at work.

really a tragedy with all the heavy stuff on the table. But what can we do :slight_frown:


#5

Just had a really good catch up with @TechnicalNature on OSCE bits (and life)
I can be in the call tmrw 10 GMT // Haven’t hear back from @Daria Fairphone about more details on logo use on our website - Will drop her another email tmrw morning


#6

Sorry - 10 am on a Monday was never going to be a great time but try to make it where possible - spreading the OSCEdays word in other ways :wink:


#7

ok @tomharper can’t make it either.

@JayKay & @Melanie_Tan are available for 30min

Maybe this time is just not good for this calls!

@Grit - can you send me a request on Skype so I can add you to the call? - My Skype ID is: Lars2i


#8

Agree - needs to be feasible. And facilitated …
@JohnWood (Goldsmiths) aka Max Ripple aka Metadesigners might be good to chat with.


#9

Hey guys, won’t be able to make it this morning, just too many stuff to catch up after the Ouishare Fest (which went really well btw).

Reagarding the points:
9/ I don’t think it’s so shocking what they did, (mixing upcycling with CE), and it shows we have still some efforts to do with educating our local organizers.

But I agree that for good practice we should ask each organizer to make it clear they are speaking for their own event, and not for the whole movement.

Asking nicely and keeping an eye open for these kinds of things will create the kind of “I take responsibility for my own message” kind of culture that we might want to foster.

10/ @sharmarval sorry, I haven’t been working on it much either. Will take a look this evening to see if I can add something to it. If you want some feedback at any point, feel free to just ping me :slight_smile:

Have a great call guys!


#10

Done – My skypeID is gritin; I can join until 10:30.


#11

Hi, ok, got an email from @gien - he is out too.

So this leaves us with (if nothing changes)

@JuliaP @cameralibre @Lars2i

@Melanie_Tan @JayKay @Grit - for 30 minutes

I guess, we should make it a 30 minute call then and postpone some of the decisions to the meeting in a week (I think we should go for it!) and make the rest in written discussions.


#12

sounds good - we can strike my Robin Hood thing then, it’s neither particularly important or urgent right now.


#13

Ok. 30 min Quick Meeting it is. Here is a shorter Agenda with the stuff I think is really important - and leaving out the rest for today.

##Quick Agenda

###1. Hi

@Lars2i will document the call.

Anything urgent to add to the quick Agenda? Anything pressing new? @Grit

###2. Weekly meetings till the event?

yes or no? (Next meeting next monday 7pm GMT)

###4. Survey

I am going to send out the Community Mail about the global reporting today. We need a finished survey for this. Let’s have a look at the questions. (last comment). Anything to add?

###6. Mentorship Program needs a push

Do you know people that would make good mentors? Reach out to them.

Do you have an idea how to advertise this better - next to a community Mail.


###3. Global Video Reporting is set up

please check it and sign up to host a call. Readme [GR16] - Global Video Reporting June 2016

This is important.

###11. Drop Community Calls till to the event

yes or no.


#14

can we switch to something else other than Skype next time?
I can’t call people, and I don’t even have messaging anymore.

Microsoft stopped updating Skype for Linux years ago, and it’s getting crappier and crappier all the time.
My microphone works with no problem on hangouts, appear.in, firefox hello and all the rest, it’s only a problem on skype.
For calls outside of normal work hours, I can use my partner’s Mac, but at work there’s no reliable way to join in the calls.

Let’s try this next time, at least to begin with:


#15

I can hear, but that’s all…


#16

Yes. Let’s use appear.in - if you have made good experience with that.

Does it take 11 ppl? (hangouts can only handle 9) | Answer: Mmh, it can handle only 8 for free :frowning:

Do we have to install something for it? | Answer: no


#17

hmm. appear.in only takes 8. Man, I can’t believe there’s still no really reliable cross-platform video calling option for groups.
Appear.in works fine, but it’s not perfect either.


#18

Ok. Let’s try hangouts then. So we have 9 people. And keep the appear.in - because most of the time we aren’t more then 8 anyway.


#19

##DOCUMENTATION of the Call

Joined by: @JayKay @JuliaP @Lars2i (@cameralibre - but tech-difficulties)

###1 Weekly Calls?
yes. let’s to it.

###4 Survey
Johnny will add to it tomorrow (tuesday) morning. So we can send out the community mail tomorrow.

###6 Mentorship program
It was send out to the EMF for example and in newsletters. But we need to approach people directly. @JayKay will ask his contact person inside EMF to reach out to people directly. Are there any specific skills we like to get in?

Anyone can think of some?

###3 Global Reporting is set up
yes. @Lars2i will write a short tutorial how to sign up to be a host again - Think a quick guide is needed.

###11 Drop Community Calls till to the event?
yes, let’s do it.

###X. Change of Tech in the future
With the majority in our community using Linux Skype is not a working option for us anymore (see discussion above).

We will use appear.in ( https://appear.in/OSCE_BoST ) in the future (if we are 8 or less) or Google Hangouts (if we are 9). We need to make people announce before the call when they are not showing up so we can plan what tech to use. Because if something urgent is to discuss and we need to be more than 9 ppl - Julia, Sam and I can go to the same room, when we are all in Berlin.)


#20
  1. weekly calls are great. Apologies that I didn’t make it today, I was waiting for the call but realized @Lars2i ight have called my other Skype ID!

The Singapore edition will be up during the week (website and Facebook page) and Ho Chi Minh is doing some great talks about Remanufacturing aside from the actual OSCE days event.

Have other cities decided on particular themes or segments of CE they are going to focus on?

  1. Publicizing OSCE membership/ Hang outs/ newsletter
    during the local events, we can publicize for mentors and contributions to the newsletter and other initiatives such as the Global Challenge do we want to write it into guidelines to local organizers and have them collect that feedback?

  2. @sharmaval apologies for not following up on the newsletter. Was in Phnom Penh recently to discuss with the organizers about how we are applying CE to the agricultural industry.Haven’t written the article because we are still developing content and potential prototypes

  3. community calls during each other’s events instead of the current format would be cool! From city to city during June 9-11. Although when events run in Asia, it would be night time in Europe.