OSCEdays & DIF 2016 Collaboration - Ideas

To @BoST & community

As you can read in the documentation of the past BoST Calls (18-21) we got asked by the Ellen Mac Arthur Foundation to actively contribute to their DIF Festival. @Silvia followed up with the emails and the partnership is already announced on the DIF website.

The next step for us is to send in a concept that also includes a budget. We said we are going to collect ideas, agree on them in the next BoST Call (22) and send something over. Please share your ideas if you have some.

I will post mine in the next 2 hours. I am happy about feedback.

####OSCEdays & DIF

#Lab on the ‘Circular City’

Here is my idea for what we can do with/for the EMF during the DIF Festival:

###Lab: Develop and Implement ’Action Recipes” on ‘The Circular City’

I think @Silvia initial thinking to pick a subject – the subject – of the circular city is good.

I suggest that we work with our new OSCEdays idea of ‘Action Recipes’ (outlined here – don’t miss) and use the DIF collaboration to make fast progress with it.

In general I suggest to run two phases during the 3 week DIF festival

• PHASE 1: Were we develop OSCE ‘Action Recipes’ on the Circular City in online teams.

• PHASE 2: Where we test/implement them – take action – in local physical events.

We make sure there is at least one local event – an event where we can meet, for example in Berlin – but also invite others to set up spontaneously theirs.

A simple Action Recipe could be to sit together for 1 day and research and map all circular spaces in a city (upcycling stores, recycling facilities, repair cafes etc.) and create a wiki about it in the OSCEdays forum in the city categories. But I am sure there will be more interesting ideas.

From here on it is just Details. Here is a draft to start to work with.

###Draft for Schedule and Steps

The DIF Festival is going on for 3 weeks. We could have a full 3 week lab with 3 phases each phase going on for a week.

####WEEK 1: Subject Market
People can suggest ideas for Action Recipes. Sign up. Teams are built around the ideas. Everyone who suggests should have a local place in mind where the Action Recipe will be implemented (a local event).

####WEEK 2: Develop The Recipes
The teams meet online and develop the recipes – Step by Step Tutorials. At the end of this weeks we have published Recipes everyone in the world can pick up.

Remember: All the time we can get inspired by the other sessions run during the DIF and try to connect to them with questions or other ideas, where it makes sense.

####WEEK 3: Implementation
The scripts are put in action in local events. We have at least one event for sure. But reach out to the network to set up spontaneous or less spontaneous groups and so on. There could be one or two main days.

###Budget & Workload
This all can be done quietly with less impact or noisy with a lot of activities. This really depends on the budget we can get for it.

If you like the concept and maybe after we defined it a bit more here in a discussion in the thread below or in the next BoST Call I can together with @JayKay & @Silvia develop a budget for it and a more defined concept to send over to the EMF.

3 Likes

Excellent, Lars, thank you for framing the proposal. Doesn’t it sound very exciting?

My suggestions:

1. Pick one city (one on each continent would be ideal) and assume the role of mayor, urban planner and/or city council during DIF. Open source these roles.

2. Change it to become an experimental OSCE city, a hub for an OSCE region and a global model. Benchmark against an existing globally recognized sustainable city, Malmo, Sweden, for instance.

3. Consider all aspects of a city development and management: land use, built environment, energy, water, transportation, residential/commercial/industrial/logistics areas, population density, wild belt (space for wildlife), agricultural belt (space for farming), culture, waste or rather no waste, etc.

4. The use of open source in the political, economic and social life of the city

5. We can choose London, where our OSCE team that has already done something similar in 2016 or use their work as a template/action recipe.

6. At the end of DIF we should be able to send a letter to the city’s mayor and council with our proposal. The chosen city should be working already on sustainable development or circular economy.

1 Like

Hi Silvia,

Update: Ups - This posting was supposed to go to the Future Thread

Thx. The way I see or suggest it is not that we have 5 defined Scripts or Protocols for everyone to follow (and improve). Everyone is invited to add new Protocols all the time. As long as they follow the defined template and structure for OSCEdays Protocols (producing documentation, on OSCE, actionable etc.)

We can’t make a change with 5 protocols. But with a procedure of inviting and creating practical action.

With this open and growing list of protocols OSCEdays become richer and we keep the self-organizing part.

I see myself for example inventing, testing and publishing several different protocols in the coming year.

Hi both, I think the circular city option is great thanks Lars…I really like Sylvia’s idea of adopting different stakeholder perspectives, because city innovation is really about understanding different stakeholder interests. Perhaps we could keep these as suggestions rather than predefined protocols.

We just wrote a paper on circular cities in The Netherlands…I will share it privately. Also, in London UCL’s circular cities lab is co-located at Here East - my new campus. I could contact them…

Hi - ups, my posting above was in the wrong thread. It was supposed to go to the general future discussion not to the DIF collaboration.

But anyhow. “Understanding different stakeholder interests” sounds to me very “researchy” and also very “meta”. As does this:

I don’t see how to go with that.

If we go with the approach for OSCEdays that it is a growing collection of little practical things you can do (protocols) that work without understanding any theory (!) it is way more hands on.

Make it free to the people what kind of protocol they create. For example: Let’s map all “Sharing Possibilities” in our city and share it. This is a tiny practical hands on thing that is about a circular city.

This protocols (create this map) than can be reproduced everywhere. This is more practical and more useful than a big research paper. Because it is not for researchers or consultants. But for people who just “wanna have some fun and contribute to the change the world by doing this”.

Let’s look for this little change making protocols “viruses of action”. With OSCEdays in general and with DIF

1 Like

I’ve taken part in a great and playful format for city planning at the degrowth conference in Leipzig. I like that idea, it can make people aware of the greater picture: this is not only about building a plastic recycling machine or a composting toilet, there’s much more to connect and think about.

That’s an idea that has been done before and as far as I know it worked for quite a way in Kinsale/ Ireland: Energy Decent Action Plan

1 Like

Hi @Lars2i and @Frans,

Is this the topic we will continue to use for DIF 2016 planning?

Probably not. I thought about setting up a new one at the weekend when I will set up the infrastructure for the DIF. I made a lot of progress and met Sam today for the graphics. Launch will be next monday so we can have a look at it during the BoST call. In that process I will probably also set up a new topic. But if you have anything to share regarding the DIF feel free create a new one already.

1 Like

Hi, This topic is closed now.

###The Discussion & Development Continues Here: