Newsletter May 2019

@BoST please make the necessary changes to the draft below, before April 19, thank you.

Dear friends,

We hope all of you are doing well, working successfully towards a sustainable, open, happy world.

We have excellent news for you: as of March 2019, the Open Source Circular Economy e.V. association with charitable status is registered in Germany. It took a long time to get here, but with perseverance, dedication and hard work we have achieved one of our main objectives. We are proud of our German team who put a lot of effort and time into it. The association will have a dedicated website http://osce-ev.de/. Soon you will find all the details regarding the association’s leadership and activities posted on the website.

It is also time to get your local team ready for OSCEdays 2019. Our fifth global event will take place in the period June 7 - 17 2019.

We continue to focus on solutions with a sense of urgency, as humanity continues to accelerate unsustainable trends. Just this month, scientists have announced that carbon dioxide has reached levels in our atmosphere not seen in 3 million years Science Advances.

Our response it to hack or transform our cities into the physical and virtual spaces from which sustainable solutions will radiate towards regions, countries, the whole planet. The June event motto is The City is Open Source. We invite you to answer questions such as:

• What if the city was a farm to feed us?

• What if the city was a cafĂ© (or any other social space)?

• What if the city was …?

Of course, feel free to choose your own activity to work on and your own period, if June is not feasible. Whatever you choose, please make sure you share and document as much as you can, it is essential to our community’s mission.

In other good news, we are pleased to welcome a new member of our Board of Stewardship, Mike Boyle, who is based in Vienna, Austria. We are always happy to get new perspectives, ideas and experience to our community.

Please continue to use our forum, if you need help there is always someone ready to answer your call.

Have fun, do good work, see you all in June,
Maike, Qing, Silvia, Gien, Mike, Ricardo

1 Like

1 Like

Hello @BoST, especially @Silvia and @Gien!
I made quite a few changes in my suggestion in which direction I would take the FIRST NEWSLETTER. Other than my suggesion during the call, I would definitely ALREADY MENTION DATES in the next one (urgency) and already mention a CALL TO ACTION which is then only repeated in the second interactive one.
I also rephrased the newsletter suggestion from above to drive eyes to 1) the urgency and call to action and make all other news second in importance and 2) to, in my view, make it more activating in tone and easier to grasp for ppl who only skim texts. Only Silvia who will paste the text will know what the CAPS will look like in the actual newsletter etc.
Things like the first lines (mail subject) are merely suggestions.
My suggestion is to include the OSCE banner we agreed upon (did we agree on one? well, whichever, both pretty) at the end of the newsletter, and begin the newsletter with a pretty community picture to remind people about past events and one of our main USPs- Community. Then in the second newsletter I would include the banner as the first and possibly only picture.

Please give feedback asap :slight_smile:

OSCE Days 2019 are ON in June. It’s time to TAKE A STAND.

Let’s create MOMENTUM and show the world WE CARE and WE INTERVENE!

Read below to see how.

DEAR FRIENDS

We hope all of you are doing well, working successfully towards a sustainable, open, happy world.

IT IS TIME TO GET YOUR LOCAL TEAM READY for OSCEdays 2019. Our fifth global event will take place JUNE 7 - 17th 2019!

In order to make it easy to share our enthusiasm with each other and the world, we came up with the idea of a PHOTO/ HASHTAG CAMPAIGN focused on solutions with a sense of urgency as humanity continues to accelerate unsustainable trends. Just this month, scientists have announced that carbon dioxide has reached levels in our atmosphere not seen in 3 million years (Science Advances)!

Our response is to STAND UP & HACK OR TRANSFORM OUR CITIES into the physical and virtual spaces from which sustainable solutions will radiate towards regions, countries, the whole planet. The June event motto is The City is Open Source. We invite you to answer questions such as:

• What if the city was a farm to feed us?
  • What if the city was a cafĂ© (or any other social space)?
  • What if the city was …?

and document and publish your findings or personal answer/opinion in at least a PICTURE using #OSCEdays and #City.
Of course feel free to choose your own activity to work on and your own dates, if June is not feasible. However please make sure you share and document as much as you can as it is essential to our community’s mission :slight_smile:

Please continue to use our forum - if you need help, there is always someone ready to answer!

NEWS regarding our formal organisation:

The Open Source Circular Economy e.V. association with charitable status is registered in Germany since March! It took a long time to get here, but with perseverance, dedication and hard work we have achieved one of our main objectives. We are proud of our German team who put a lot of effort and time into it. The association will have a dedicated website http://osce-ev.de/. Soon you will find all the details regarding the association’s leadership and activities posted on the website.

In other good news, we are pleased to welcome a new member of our Board of Stewardship, Mike Boyle, who is based in Vienna, Austria. We are always happy to get new perspectives, ideas and experience to our community.

Have fun, do good work and see you all in June.

Maike, Julia, Qing, Silvia, Gien, Mike, Ricardo

1 Like

@Silvia could you please share with me the Mailchimp login info so that I can start working on the second newsletter?

Hi Julia. I think it looks great and am keen in supporting this campaign through all social media.

I am the local organizer of the Circular Economy Club and can reach out to all the other organizers to pass the word. The idea is to make the campaign viral.

Some suggestions:

We have a twitter address: @ OSCEdays ‏ The last posting was last December, indirect from me :frowning:

Hashtag: What about #circularhack or #hackingtocircularity ? I think OSCEdays means nothing to anyone, and it would be enough for the others to included our twitter handle.

to the sentence
" OF COURSE, feel free to choose your own activity to work on and your own dates, if June is not feasible. Whatever you choose"

If I may make a suggestion. Let’s try to get people for the countries to participate for the time defined, and then we can start with a campaign right after saying “Let’s keep the momentum”. Your thoughts?

Congratulations Julia!!!

Mike

1 Like

Hey Mike,
the OSCEdays hashtag is an “internal” one we have used so far, for whoever participating to find the others everywhere. For ppl used to hashtags they would add additional ones anyway. But maybe that is too much to expect without direction? Not sure. We could include another one if anyone else from Bost is OK with that, and it should be one we can then use for the years to come. #circularhack #circularcityhack or similar would be other suggestions. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Yes, maybe we minimize the sentence saying the date can be postponed.

Let’s see what others write!

Hola Julia,

@OSCEdays on twitter allows us to get people to make our site popular on twitter. We can’t force people to include it in their twitter posings, but we can encourage them :slight_smile:

Happy with all your # suggestions!!!

I suggest you make a suggestion for the one you think is best and pose a closed question (anyone object) and give us a timeline. Call is on Monday? Make that our deadline.

Sound OK?

1 Like

Done, it’s in your mailbox. Thank you.

1 Like

I thought this first one should be out before monday? Correct me if I’m wrong.
So I think then we should chose one. Maybe even an existing one…

SUGGESTIONS (entries on Instagram) so far:
#circularhack #hackingtocircularity #circularcity (278) #circularcityhack #cityhacker (154) #cityhackers (532) #hackthecity (997) #hackthecity♻️ #thecityisopensource (1)
@BoST Please share your preference!

Silvia might now when a newsletter like the one above is the most effective to be sent out. Like thursday evening? Timing is important.

Then I’d send this one out this week.
And send the second one out one week after. Ie Thursday the 23rd.
Maybe even a third one week after, if this really is a call for viral action.

1 Like

My vote is for #circularcity simply because it can be used by a number of groups (not just OSCE), is clear, needs less explanation, etc.

I am giving a keynote at a circular economy hackathon tomorrow evening and would like to announce it there. If we can agree by today, then I’ll take the graphic, the hashtag, and @JuliaP prose and start promoting the hell out of it.

OK with that?

2 Likes

I am. That hashtag and whichever image (maybe both?) Anyone who else agrees too??? @Bost :smiley:

All good for me.First letter should go out Thursday afternoon. Second Thursday 23rd.

No need for a third one, e-mails should be kept at minimum. Social media will take care of the viral part.

OK with #circularity

Logo is the the first pic, the same one added at the bottom of the newsletter.

Hey guys,

Got your email, Julia. I’ll comment tomorrow. Just at work right now.

Seigo directed me to a page that shows that Ricardo was one of the managers of the twitter account. @RicardoRug, do you still remember username and pw?

This is about the OSCEdays (Main) Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/oscedays

Managers

current Twitter channel managers

@RicardoRug (main)
@Lars2i (side kick)
@sharmarval (side kick)

The login is shared HERE.

Access to the channel have

@RicardoRug
@Lars2i
@sharmarval
@Frans
@TechnicalNature

A bot

There is a bot called “OSCEdays all Tweets” retweeting all tweets with the hashtag #OSCEdayscreated and maintained by @huelfe

1 Like

For the hashtag, should we not convey:

open source
circular
city

?

If so, do we need to find a short hashtag that integrates all those? If it’s just circularcity or circularity, it says nothing about open source so doesn’t differentiate us. Problem is I can’t think of anything that is short:

#opencircularcity - doesn’t sound that great
#opencircularcities - a bit better
librecircularcity - doesn’t sound that great

Instead of PInterest, people can just post on our FB channel. If we want to do this, we should communicate in our messaging. We may also want to encourage people to share ideas around the globe and make contact with OSCEdays activists in other countries.

1 Like

I definitely have feedback for the newsletter copy you wrote Julia, but it will take me time to compose a meaningful response.Realistically, I won’t have time til tomorrow afternoon.

I agree @Gien , but the problems we have are

1. Trying to explain 2 concepts that are not that easy to understand
  2. No lead time (less than 12 hours)
  3. The goal of making something viral
  4. with a #hashtag

I am definitely not married to any idea, but time is critical. Maybe the solution is two hashtags?
#opencircularity #hackthecity?
or we add #circularcity to the mix? In essence, it makes little/no difference for tomorrow, but we need to decide before going on the offensive.

Can we give ourselves a deadline to decide? My vote would be for 12:00 CET tomorrow (16.05.)

@transitionmica @Qing @RicardoRug @Gien

No vote is a vote :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks to Julia for the inspring text:

comments:
Hashtag: I like #OSCEdays and #circularcityhack but then I’m no expert on social media, I leave to younger ones :wink: Do we need 2019 in them at all?

I agree to Mike about this: Let’s try to get people for the countries to participate for the time defined. But I also think we can suggest that it’s ok to only see this time frame as a starting point.

I would be a bit less praise into this, it wasn’t such a great deal and only took so long because berlin administration is totally understaffed:

The Open Source Circular Economy e.V. association with charitable status is registered in Germany since March! It took a long time to get here, but with perseverance we have achieved one of our important objectives for 2018. We are proud of our German team which managed to remove all the obstacles. The association will have a dedicated website http://osce-ev.de/. Soon you will find all the details regarding the association’s purpose, structure and activities posted on the website.

@RicardoRug thanks a lot for the design, love it!

As for a second newsletter: maybe we can use this toll to send one out every week with going more into detail on various aspects of this year’s call such as:

• City hacking
  • Circularity
  • Open source (sharing pictures)