[MEETING, January 19] - First steps for OSCEdays Berlin 2016

Meeting of OSCEdays Berlin community. “OSCEdays Tuesday”

DATE & TIME: January 19, 2016, 19:00

PLACE: Agora, Mittelweg 50, Neukölln, Top-Floor

CALL: In case you can’t find us call: +4917621865009

##AGENDA

(INFO: Fashion Team is at Fashion Week
@Ina called saying that right now is Fashion week in Berlin. This keeps most of the textile and fashion team busy. So we will probably not see much of them today.)

###1 New People
Hello to new people and a little introduction round :slight_smile:

###2 Challenges
Let’s discuss challenges for the OSCEdays Berlin 2016
Questions:

• What could the Call for Challengers for this year look like?
  • Can we come up with a list of ideas for people to reach out to and invite to be a challenger for the OSCEdays?
  • What can we offer the people? How can we support them? What can be cool tasks to work on.

###3 Partners

• How can we get in companies? Do we have companies in mind? How can we explain companies the possibility of becoming a Challenger.

. . . please add

Post is a wiki

See you all

Info will follow in a minute

• How is the Website doing? Any usability/design/programming issues to discuss?
  • I don’t know if this matches the OSCE topics but…
    • I know some people In open source (graphic/usability) design who might be interested in participating.
    • Along the same lines, I am involved in some open source usability projects as well as Open Educational Resources… if that is of interest for any of you, just ask :smile:

@Jan_D

• Mmh. I think the webpage is done. But if you see immediate problems or have ideas - let’s discuss them.
  • Yeah, the designers are great. I guess we can have/will have some challenges that involve design questions :slight_smile:

Hey all,

Since you have a textile community in Berlin, maybe you could check out the challenge we are organizing with a french association against planned obsolescence to make durable tights.

tightsmadetolast.instapage.com

We’ll be launching the campaign next month if everything goes as planned and once we crowdfund the prize to solve it, then we’ll be looking for solutions.

Would that be a viable challenge?

Changes so far are pretty good. But the + sign is still irritating; the content we get on hover makes more sense (which I only discovered by accident). (The content could even be combined with the + character; Text on top, + below – or vice versa)

#DOCUMENTATION

Hi all, here is a short write up what we discussed yesterday. This is what I could recall. Add what is missing.

We were 6 people. Next to @Simon @cameralibre @Jan_D and @Lars2i two new and very interesting people.

Thorsten from Stop Reset Go
And Annakathrin from GWÖ and Thinkfarm

Here are some things we dicussed:

• Ask IKEA or other furniture manufacturers to sponsor or do a challenge at the OSCEdays (Berlin) on modular furniture design (IKEA has already some kind of circular principles. You can get spare parts for all stuff, for free, even for stuff they sold in the 70s)
  • Design Universities: Ask professors if we can talk for 5 minutes in their courses to advertise the OSCEdays and the possibility to become a challenger to their students -> Would a list of first ideas or Problems of the Circular Economy help to inspire the students?
  • We were discussing the possibility of a “Prize” for the best outcome of a challenge to motivate students. There were pro and cons. No clear answer found.
  • Annekathrin told us about her love to do something with artist to support global change. And Jan and Annakathrin and Lars were discussing Impro-Theater as an example. Can we have an impro-theater session and performance at the OSCEdays on the subject of “Imagining the Open Source Circular Economy”?
  • Together with Jan we discussed the possibility of a Design Task force. Graphic-Design students go around the venue and help people to document their projects properly.
  • We discussed that we will have a series of classic talks this year. This can help to attract more people.

Re: IKEA - http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/18/weve-hit-peak-home-furnishings-says-ikea-boss-consumerism

2 Likes

Comments:

• IKEA: I find it particulary interesting that you can get spare parts and it is sold for comperatively low/average prices, or rather has no “sustainable-luxury-price”.
  • Design Problems: imho something open but concrete (like buiding modular furniture from leftover wood) makes a good challenge. Otherwise problem finding may take forever.
  • Graphic Design Taskforce: If we make the instructions for DIY a core part of the challenges the graphic design/writing team would not just be a “service”/“side”-thing but an integrated part of the teams.
    We could use Inkscape, Raw Therapee, Libre Office, etc. for creating the documentation and thus provide examples as well (We ould ask libre graphics world to feature this btw.)
1 Like

Some topics for further exploration:

1. Full automation and the end of most manual work. Additive circular and sustainable manufacturing and the automation of work portend the possibility of production based on flexibility, decentralisation and post-scarcity for most goods. The development of new needs must be distinguished from their commodification.

2. Calculation of how to distribute the main productive resources is increasingly viable. Equally, data collection on resources and preferences through ubiquitous computing means that the raw data for running an open source circular economy are more readily available than ever before. And all of this could be mobilised towards the implementation of the plan of sharing the world’s resources on national and global scales – redirecting our economies towards the self-conscious production of socially useful goods like renewable energy, natural medicine and the expansion of our inner and outer freedoms.

3. A new type of production is already visible at the leading edges of contemporary technology. The rapid automation of logistics presents the possibility of a globally interconnected system in which parts and goods can be shipped rapidly and efficiently without human labour. Rather than seeking temporary and local relief in the various bunkers of silo thinking, fragmented social movements, collaborate platforms and folk politics, we must today move beyond these limits and begin taking the necessary steps to tell a new kind of story and to built a system that works for everyone.

And here is the challenge I was talking about yesterday :slight_smile:

1 Like

*On a more philosophical level and in connection to @Thorsten_Wiesmann ’s comment

While automation, post-scarcity and sharing may be in our grasp, they might not just happen. Or rather, they might happen but possibly without the effects we hope for.

In regards to automation, there is an interesting study in regards to household appliances and the amount of work these machines save – with the result that the time spend in the household has remained stable, despite washing machines, microwaves etc. – an explanation is that time remained stable, but output (more washing, more meals etc.) increased.

Appliances and their impact: the ownership of domestic technology and time spent on household work

Jeap, but I think there is a difference to make.

It is true. You can take a picture much faster today then 80 years ago - time saved. But this results into us making hundreds of pictures … and than spending time looking at them, organizing them, deleting them, storing them etc. – time is gone again.

But still I think that for the payed labour part automation might be a different thing today and in the forseeable future than it has been in the past: Apple is relocating some factories to the US. But it will be robots there doing the work. Or, if we find a way to make self-driving-cars a reality on our streets - 2 Mio people in Germany work in Logistics today…

I think the effects that happen in our households will not necessarily apply to the factories.