Toiletten gehören zur essentiellen Hardware, die wir in Zukunft brauchen werden, um eine Lösung für Probleme wie peak-Phosphat zu finden, indem wir die Kreisläufe zwischen Landwirtschaft (Dünger) und Abwasser schließen. Ich möchte gemeinsam an einer Version ihrer Kompost-Toilette arbeiten, die öffentlich aufgestellt werden kann, z.B. auf beliebten Plätzen wie dem Mauerpark-Flohmarkt. Es müssen also Probeme wie Hygienestandards, Langlebigkeit, einfache Handhabung und Wartung, und intuitive Nutzersteuerung (damit sie die Dinger richtig benutzen) gelöst werden.
Creating an economy for the nutrient cycle is one of the most urgent and underestimated issues in the coming years. Especially peak-phosphate is a phenomenon that is as overlooked as it is pressing. Phosphate is a mineral all living things on earth need in a far greater quantity than is available in the untreated earth’s crust. This means that we need to either recycle it or, as it is currently and very unsustainably done, add it artificially from mining sources that deplete rapidly and are located in unstable or dictatorial countries, most of it in China.
During the OSCE Days 2015 in Berlin, we want to work on the challenges we face on the way to an open source prototype for a public nutrient-recycling toilet. Feel free to join and share your ideas!
Mapping the scene:
- What is peak-phosphate?
- Which solutions are there?
- Who is already working on them? (non-water sanitation, EcoToi, Goldeimer, Separett…)
- Which business models are already out there for recycling nutrients (that is Eco-Toilets: dry toilets, humus toilets, compost toilets, separation toilets)?
Building the prototype
- Which technical challenges are there?
- Which logistic challenges are there?
- Which legal requirements are there?
- How can we build a public eco-toilet, that is educational as well as practical, wheelchair-accessible, hygenic and resistant to misuse and vandalism?
- Nutrient-Recycling-Toilets for Mauerpark
As a practical outcome of this workshop we want to design a prototype public toilet for the well known and much used Mauerpark. We chose this location for the open source prototype because
- there is an urgent need for toilets there
- it gives the opportunity to address an audience of international tourists as well as locals
- there is a community garden project already working in Mauerpark, so we have a partner in the local initiative ‘Transition Town Pankow’ that is recognized by the authorities and established in the area
- Design an indoor public toilet for the Baumhaus-Project (http://baumhausberlin.de). Why? Because
- this project wants to implement a zero-waste policy as far as possible
- it will enter it’s building phase this summer, including installing new toilets for visitors
- it can serve as an example for other similar places that serve as a venue for workshops, meetings, projects and public events, including the problem of catering+ toilets= very restrictive hygiene standards
Thursday, 11th of June - This day takes place @ The Baumhaus, Gerichtsstrasse 23
11h first get together (with coffee/ breakfast), looking at the Baumhaus facitlities
11:30h Preview of ‘Undune’ (Film by Dennis Raetzel)
13:00 -14h Introduction the problem of Peak-Phosphate by Anders Ettinger (Heschel Centre for Sustainability, Tel Aviv), Discussion
Friday, 12th of June - workshop day 1 @ Agora
11 -13h What do we need to know? formulating questions and tasks. Mapping the challenges for Himmelbeet/ Mauergarten/ Prizessinnengarten and Baumhaus.
14 -15:30h Research& Discussion: types, models, solutions. Pro&contra
17h excursion to EcoToi Toilet storage site in Marienfelde (leaving punctually, 1hour travel time to Diedersdorfer Weg 5, no OSCEdays-ticket necessary for those who only attend this part).
Saturday, 13th of June - workshop day 2 @ Agora
12 -14h (and on demand 15-16:30h) research on legal frameworks, formulating questions and demands for Berlin City administration (Grünberlin, Hygieneamt)
Sunday, 14th of June - workshop day 3 @ Agora
12 -14h (and on demand 15-16:30h) ideating, planning next steps, drafting building plans, forming working groups for continued work after OSCEdays
Monday, 15th of June - workshop day 4 (excursion: having a look at the real thing)
11 -13h trip to VivaVerde to look at the toilets they have on display and have a talk with Conrad Thimm (agricultural economist). Max. 5-7 people, please sign up with @transitionmaike .
planning the Berlin event
contacting potential experts and partners
developing a structure for the open source documentation
writing the documentation and encouraging others to participate
PAD: To allow participants to document this challenge in real-time, a collaborative Etherpad document has been set up here:
FOLDER: To store and share documents, photos and other files relating to this challenge, please upload them to this challenge’s cloud folder:
Partners and partner organisations (so far):
- Dennis Raetzel - film maker, http://www.undune.de/de/undune-der-film
- Wolfgang Hoffmann - composting toilets specialist, www.TCstattWC.de / www.komposttoilette.org
- Goldeimer - www.goldeimer.de
- The Baumhaus Project - http://baumhausberlin.de/
- EcoToi and Non-Water-Sanitation e.V.
- mauergarten e.V. - community garden in Mauerpark
Please post your comments, remarks, ideas as replies below - then I will add them and edit this post accordingly.
first prototype was built im September 2015 by the cyceloo-team in Berlin: