CHALLENGE 4c3: Low tech products

This is Challenge 4c3 from CH 4c: Community level circular products and services
TYPE

global

Note: All our challenges are collaborative. Skype, email or contact us if you want to work with us in real-time! Let’s make a better world for everyone together! gien@stopresetgo.org

BACKGROUND
Tyndall Centre’s rapid emissions reduction studies show that we must immediately reduce demand, especially energy demand dramatically. Low tech solutions are appropriate to signficantly reduce the demand side usage of energy by substituting energy demand-intensive high tech products and services with low tech, low energy consuming ones.

CHALLENGE

Activity: Global brainstorm session and begin initial design

We look to create these challenges as part of our local community manufacturing strategy. All successful low tech designs will be considered for local community manufacturing projects in communities around the world for creating both jobs via local manufacturing cooperatives and lowering carbon footprints.

CH 4c3a: Home heating - Depending on the country, home heating can account for a significant amount of the household energy budget.
CH 4c3b: Muscle powered home appliances
CH 4c3c: Natural refrigeration
CH 4c3d: Muscle powered laundry
CH 4c3e: Mechanical 3D printer
CH4c3f: Botanical manufacturing: growing furniture from biology
CH4c3g: Botanical manufacturing: growing buildings fro biology
CH4c3h: Cargo bikes and other pedal powered vehicles
CH4c3i: Gravel and other forms of energy storage

SKILLSETS

• industrial design
  • engineering - hardware, software, mechanical
  • sociology
  • anthropology
  • community work

Hi, I think we can add the non-water sanitation/ composting toilets to this challenge: it replaces high-tech sewage systems and water treatment with very low-tech compostation processes. I’m planning to do a second round on this topic next year at the OSCEdays 2016 and would be happy to go global on it: [CHALLENGE] Nutrient-Recycling-Toilet (Workshop)
Maike