Planning: OpenLabs Opening Video Streaming #1 – November 7, 8pm GMT

##Background/Context

During the OSCEdays Open Labs we will have a video streaming for each phase (3 in total) to open up the phase and explain it. Each of those streamings should be joined by at least 3 @BoST members.

This topic is about planning the first one on November 7 – 8pm GMT.

In the BoST Call from October 31 @nicustasia @Gien @Lars2i –> Join us! If you want to be in the streaming. We can also be 5 or even 6 I guess.

##Planning The Call

Planning happens here and below.

###Planning Call

@gien & @nicustasia – we should have a meeting to plan this streaming. How about this Friday Nov 4 - 11am GMT (alternative: Saturday Nov 5 – 11 am GMT)

@BoSTWho else wants to join?

1 Like

that’s a good time for me
Friday is better

1 Like

Monday I can try but I’m not sure. I should be able to join the 3rd call on the 21.

1 Like

@nicustasia @Gien – Ready for the test call tomorrow morning? I will set up a hangouts and post the link here in the comments 15 min before the call starts. @nicustasia in case you have not used hangouts before, you’ll need to install the plugin on your machine.

1 Like

I have used it for the first call. It works.
See you tomorrow.

Hi, appearently Google has changed something about hangouts. Trying to figure it out now. Will let you know in a few minutes

1 Like

Looks like I can stream from my house - but only one house. Here:

hey, it looks like it is very complicated. I need to install a software … and even then, I will probably only be able to stream from one house. I will give it a test and also look for other options. This will take a while. You don’t have to wait for me. Go back to work or do the other important stuff, you are doing. I will get back to you with a solution and we find another time for the test. Maybe Monday morning 11 GMT if possible.

In case you have a suggestion for another service we can use, please share it under the planning topic of this call.

good thing we tested it :slight_smile:

ok. I figured it out. I works as before. No software installtion needed. It is just another way to start it. This was hidden as hell. Took a while to find out. But now we can have the test run. How about tomorrow

(Saturday) 12am GMT or (Monday) 11am GMT?

1 Like

I can join on Saturday and Monday, but Saturday is better

1 Like

hi
when do we have a test call?

Today, at 12:00 GMT. In 1h 15min. Does it still work for you?

JOIN NOW: https://hangouts.google.com/call/3cr6da2ykvhhplfp5covjz3r2ee

SCRIPT/STRUCTURE

(Comment Is A Wiki - Feel Free To Edit In Info)

—S t a r t----

##welcome and introduction

LARS: Hi, welcome the the OSCEdays Open Labs Phase 1 … / May name is Lars, I am based in Berlin. And I am an Artist & Economist.

STASIA: Hi, I am Stasia, I am from St.Petersburg, currently I am based in Yangxin, Hubei province, China, and I am a teacher, mentor in non-formal educational projects.

GIEN: Hi, I am Gien, I am based in Cape Town and a co-founder of Stop Reset Go and Institute of Future Living. We have been locally hosting OSCE Days for the past 2 years in South Africa. Unfortunately, our internet is not very stable here so it’s better to have my camera off.

##OSCEdays

LARS: And we are 3 members of the Board of Stewardship of the Open Source Circular Economy Days - or in short: OSCEdays. We are going to explain you briefly what OSCEdays is. And then the Open Labs On the Circular City. What we are up to. And how you can join. And what are the questions we are exploring.

Ok. Gien. What is OSCEdays?

GIEN: . . . OSCE Days is a global event that converges two important global trends, Open Source and Circular Economy. The importance of this is that Open Source deals with access, while Circular Economy deals with sutainability. OSCE is therefore about a socially just sustainability that benefits everyone, not just a small group. OSCE Days has been a global one week event for the first two years of its existence, now reaching >66 cities around the globe but now, we are moving towards making our work all year round, with a one week event to celebrate and share the communities work for the year.

STASIA: During the whole OSCE days year everyone may take an already existing ACTION or create a specific new one. The main concept is that no matter where you are you may start an ACTION following clear steps and instructions like a framework from successfully realised projects adapting for local community. Evaluation and documentation are important steps for open source projects.

##Open Labs

LARS: Ok, now we are going to explain to you our Open Labs program for the next 3 weeks. The Lab is divided into 3 phases. Today we start with PHASE 1 … explanation of phase 1 - 3 to 4 sentences.

GIEN: Phase 2 is about taking the ideas from the brainstorm sessions and formatting them into an easy to do list of steps that can be executed. FAQ) … we have already 3 ACTIONS announced … one about a Food Policy Paper, One About mapping circular organisations in a city, one about open modularity and shared standards in the design of cities,

STASIA: Phase 3 is about learning in practice. implementation of planned actions.
(FAQ – Open Labs: The Circular City – Running November 2016)) … we have already 3 cities on the Map: Las Palmas De Gran Canaria, Schaebisch Gmuend & Berlin. So now we want to hear from you. What can be your project?

##Open This Phase - Invite ppl

LARS: Ok, so much for the phase. Right now, phase one starts. We invite you to share your ideas on the Circular City. Discuss it with us here in our thread.

Study the DIF program for lectures about the CC.

And we can discuss now already. Click on the Link to Join - to join us here and share a thought about the Circular City. We will start. Each of us. Gien first. What do you think is important for the Circular City.

GIEN: .According to the UN, over 50% of the globe now lives in cities and collectively, cites are responsible for:

1. consuming 75% of the world’s natural resources,
  2. consuming 80% of the global energy supply,
  3. producing approx. 75% of the global carbon emissions
    In addition, 90% of major cities are located on coastal regions and are therefore most vulnerable to sea level rise.

Cities are therefore a natural place to circularize. It’s a big job and one that involves every level of society. While govt and big business do their part, it is critical that citizens contribute solutions. In fact, with scientists saying the Paris Climate will be short by 25%, it is more important than ever for citizens to ramp up our participation. Collectively, citizens can contribute enormously by finding circular solutions to reduce our demand - for food, energy, resources. We have to boldly imagine what is possible and can scale rapidly. For example, here in Cape Town, Stop Reset Go is launching the open source circular ecohome project that seeks to pilot then scale citizen-co-created solutions across the city and country.

The combination of Open Source and Circular Economy is particularly potent to nations with large marginalized populations because the general populus simply does not have access to the expensive private IP-ased technologies available in developed countries. Climate justice can be much more effectively attained through Open Source Circular Economies.

LARS: … Stasia, what do you think is important about circular cities in Russia and China, the places you have lived in?

STASIA: … I think that circular city is a combination of governmental work, business choice and practice and social actions that is linked to education. If there are connections between different institutions and departments, a way for using the specific knowledge and resources they have together, it is about finding new solutions and development. It can give the real complex vision for the students as a starting point to find not regular decisions, in practice. And involving teachers is about the looking forward to educate next generation but actually two generations.

I think that circular city is about kind of partial transparency, strong community, partnership and collaboration instead of divided closed parts of one system.

LARS: … one bit …

And now you, someone wants to join us.

(IF SOMEONE JOINS START A DISCUSSION WITH THEM - IF NOT; LARS CLOSES THE CALL AND WE ALL SAY BYE)

JOIN NOW: https://hangouts.google.com/call/3cr6da2ykvhhplfp5covjz3r2ee

Gien Stasia – Join Here: https://hangouts.google.com/call/3cr6da2ykvhhplfp5covjz3r2ee