Newsletter May 2019

I am. That hashtag and whichever image (maybe both?) Anyone who else agrees too??? @Bost :smiley:

All good for me.First letter should go out Thursday afternoon. Second Thursday 23rd.

No need for a third one, e-mails should be kept at minimum. Social media will take care of the viral part.

OK with #circularity

Logo is the the first pic, the same one added at the bottom of the newsletter.

Hey guys,

Got your email, Julia. I’ll comment tomorrow. Just at work right now.

Seigo directed me to a page that shows that Ricardo was one of the managers of the twitter account. @RicardoRug, do you still remember username and pw?

This is about the OSCEdays (Main) Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/oscedays

Managers

current Twitter channel managers

@RicardoRug (main)
@Lars2i (side kick)
@sharmarval (side kick)

The login is shared HERE.

Access to the channel have

@RicardoRug
@Lars2i
@sharmarval
@Frans
@TechnicalNature

A bot

There is a bot called “OSCEdays all Tweets” retweeting all tweets with the hashtag #OSCEdayscreated and maintained by @huelfe

1 Like

For the hashtag, should we not convey:

open source
circular
city

?

If so, do we need to find a short hashtag that integrates all those? If it’s just circularcity or circularity, it says nothing about open source so doesn’t differentiate us. Problem is I can’t think of anything that is short:

#opencircularcity - doesn’t sound that great
#opencircularcities - a bit better
librecircularcity - doesn’t sound that great

Instead of PInterest, people can just post on our FB channel. If we want to do this, we should communicate in our messaging. We may also want to encourage people to share ideas around the globe and make contact with OSCEdays activists in other countries.

1 Like

I definitely have feedback for the newsletter copy you wrote Julia, but it will take me time to compose a meaningful response.Realistically, I won’t have time til tomorrow afternoon.

I agree @Gien , but the problems we have are

1. Trying to explain 2 concepts that are not that easy to understand
  2. No lead time (less than 12 hours)
  3. The goal of making something viral
  4. with a #hashtag

I am definitely not married to any idea, but time is critical. Maybe the solution is two hashtags?
#opencircularity #hackthecity?
or we add #circularcity to the mix? In essence, it makes little/no difference for tomorrow, but we need to decide before going on the offensive.

Can we give ourselves a deadline to decide? My vote would be for 12:00 CET tomorrow (16.05.)

@transitionmica @Qing @RicardoRug @Gien

No vote is a vote :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks to Julia for the inspring text:

comments:
Hashtag: I like #OSCEdays and #circularcityhack but then I’m no expert on social media, I leave to younger ones :wink: Do we need 2019 in them at all?

I agree to Mike about this: Let’s try to get people for the countries to participate for the time defined. But I also think we can suggest that it’s ok to only see this time frame as a starting point.

I would be a bit less praise into this, it wasn’t such a great deal and only took so long because berlin administration is totally understaffed:

The Open Source Circular Economy e.V. association with charitable status is registered in Germany since March! It took a long time to get here, but with perseverance we have achieved one of our important objectives for 2018. We are proud of our German team which managed to remove all the obstacles. The association will have a dedicated website http://osce-ev.de/. Soon you will find all the details regarding the association’s purpose, structure and activities posted on the website.

@RicardoRug thanks a lot for the design, love it!

As for a second newsletter: maybe we can use this toll to send one out every week with going more into detail on various aspects of this year’s call such as:

• City hacking
  • Circularity
  • Open source (sharing pictures)

Hey Gien,
about the hashtag: you’re totally right, it should include all three concepts. However it gets hard to grasp if all are in there. However the simple one sided suggestions have some advantages:

#hackthecity makes people wonder "hack it how?“ and then if they read on, the concept becomes clearer. #circularcity directs to the circularity and doesn’t communicate OS but if ppl are then checking out the viral campaign they get to understand the hands-on and demonstrative/ transparent quality, which then translates to potential interest for the actual campaign aim (OSCE).

I will try and get the newsletter ready by this afternoon (as Silvias suggestion for sending it out was today) and if until then, anyone of you chimes in with “yes definitely use [concrete hashtag suggestion]” and offers me a community picture from past years, I will just use that. Otherwise I’ll have to use the stock photo from above as I don’t have time to look for pics… Objections?

Michael needs a hashtag by today at 5-6! :slight_smile:

That was my thought about more newsletters aswell, but we can talk about that on Monday and vote it out

I’ll send the newsletter off tomorrow because I’m not sure which hashtag to include. Maybe Michael tells me this evening which hashtag he promoted at the event or if he didn’t promote any we can chose one here until tomorrow.
My question til then is IF Michael didn’t chose one for his pitch already: should we go with #circularity or #hackthecity or #circulacityhack? Please vote @Bost (or suggest another one) because the newsletter needs to go out tomorrow. Thanks

UPDATE
I scheduled it for tomorrow at 5pm :wink: with #CircularCityHack. Could still be changed before that deadline though.

Sounds good @JuliaP. I announced another one but realized I was missing a further explanation. That is here SOLUTION – Hack Your City Circular With 'The City Is Open Source'

@BoST - The above link is buried on the site. If this is our campaign, don’t we want to highlight it on the site? Who is managing this site? Where are we going to put the pictures after we have collected the best ones from the organizers?

I don’t feel comfortable about going public in a big way without answers to these questions.

Which one did you announce? Please tell me as the newsletter will still be sent (in a few hrs) Thanks!!

The link is in the newsletter and on the forum, no problem to be found. The pictures will be posted by the organizers in their respective cities page. The pictures posted at the #s can be posted by one of us in the city page or in the activity where they best belongs to.

I am also thinking of creating a Global City page, for virtual global or non-city specific events. We’ll discuss on Monday.

The newsletter is going out today.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Sorry did you get everything out ok? Sorry I was tied up with work yesterday. I understand it’s difficult to get all those concepts into one hashtag. I think just go with what you feel is best. I doubt we can get an optimal hashtag with all those ideas.

I sent the info to Ricardo about twitter but haven’t heard a reply yet.

I didn’t find the time to finish the general newsletter yet. I will have a couple of hours tomorrow to work on it.

Draft invitation for newcomers / organizers:

Fifth annual global OSCEdays - June 7 - 17, 2019

INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE

Who can participate?

Anyone! schools, children, teens, hackers, activists, communities, makers, scientists, engineers. Anyone who believes in sharing sustainable designs.

What does OSCE mean?

OSCE stands for Open Source Circular Economy, We all know that our environment is in a major crisis. Just this month, scientists have announced that carbon dioxide has reached levels in our atmosphere not seen in 3 million years. Society is undergoing seismic shifts towards a different kind of economy that does not ravage nature and gives it time to heal. A Circular Economy is vital to the future of a waste-free society that reduces dependency on scarce virgin resources, while an Open Source one is the most equitable, allowing any community to produce the goods and services they need to survive. OSCEdays is an education event that teaches citizens how to participate in fairest, regenerative economy - an open source circular economy.

When is it?

June 7 - 17, 2019

Where is it?

Everywhere. Anyone can hold a mini-event or share a small design hack. Contribute to a global database of best designs and practices that can allow others to benefit from your brilliant idea.

How do I participate?
Sign up at our global website by clicking on the community forum link and signing up. Chat with other change agents in the forum.

You can create an event or just get together with a small group of friends and create a shareable design that improves the world. If you want to create an event, visit the how to create an event link

What is this year’s theme?

Hack the City
In order to make it easy to share our enthusiasm with each other and the world, we came up with the idea of a PHOTO/ HASHTAG CAMPAIGN focused on solutions with a sense of urgency as humanity continues to accelerate unsustainable trends.
Our response is to STAND UP & HACK OR TRANSFORM OUR CITIES into the physical and virtual spaces from which sustainable solutions will radiate towards regions, countries, the whole planet. The June event motto is The City is Open Source. We invite you to answer questions such as:

• What if the city was a farm to feed us?
  • What if the city was a café (or any other social space)?
  • What if the city was …?

and document and publish your findings or personal answer/opinion in at least a PICTURE using #OSCEdays and #City.
Of course feel free to choose your own activity to work on and your own dates, if June is not feasible. However please make sure you share and document as much as you can as it is essential to our community’s mission

Need some design inspiration?
Visit some of the solutions our community have developed from past years.

Please continue to use our forum - if you need help, there is always someone ready to answer!
Have fun, do good work and see you all in June.

Maike, Julia, Qing, Silvia, Gien, Mike, Ricardo

1 Like

Nice Gien! Feel free to add #circulacityhack, the hashtag from the newsletter I sent out, before the #OSCEdays #City as that will be the actual (most important) hashtag for the photo campaign

Hi everyone,

Please review this draft for the Facebook group. I want to post by tomorrow at latest:

DEAR FRIENDS & NEWCOMERS TO OSCEdays

We hope all of you are doing well, and working successfully towards a sustainable, open, happy world. This year, we have all heard to increasingly dire warnings about climate change. We all know that our environment is in a major crisis. Just this month, scientists have announced that carbon dioxide has reached levels in our atmosphere not seen in 3 million years. Society is undergoing seismic shifts towards a different kind of economy that does not ravage nature and gives it time to heal. An Open Source Circular Economy has a significant role to play in healing our planet.

FOR NEWCOMERS - WHAT DOES OSCE MEAN?

OSCE stands for Open Source Circular Economy, Let’s break down what that means. First, an Open Source economy is one where knowledge is transparent and shared. A Circular Economy is one that circulates resources used in material production endlessly to avoid waste and mining of raw virgin resources. Without sharing knowledge openly, it will be difficult to identify if one waste stream has the right resource profile to be used as feedstock in another production stream. OSCEdays is an education event that educates society on the benefits of the combination of an Open Source and Circular Economy.

WANT TO ORGANIZE AN EVENT?
IT IS TIME TO GET YOUR LOCAL TEAM READY for OSCEdays 2019. Our fifth global event will take place JUNE 7 - 17th 2019! This year’s invitation comes late as we’ve been busy restructuring our organization to meet the needs of a rapidly changing world. It’s great if you can organize a local event on short notice (go here for instructions), but if not, we’ve created an alternative easy-to-participate, global campaign called HACK THE CITY.
Go to our website by clicking here to find out how

HACK THE CITY TWITTER / FACEBOOK CAMPAIGN
Too busy or too short notice to organize an event? Then participate in this years global theme: hack the city! Cities are responsible for the majority of global impacts and emissions. This year, there is a sense of urgency as humanity continues on an unsustainable trajectory. On May 13, scientists at the Mauna Loa research station announced that atmospheric CO2 levels have reached 415 ppm, not seen in 3 million years (Science Advances)! Our response is to STAND UP & HACK OR TRANSFORM OUR CITIES into the physical and virtual spaces from which sustainable solutions will radiate towards regions, countries, the whole planet. The June event motto is The City is Open Source. We invite you to look at the place you live, and ask: How circular is it? answer questions such as:

What if the city was a farm to feed us?
Could citizens create a holistic waste / food / agriculture cycle?
What if the city was a café (or any other social space)?
Can citizen’s play a role in rapidly reducing plastic pollution?
What if the city was …?
Share your insight or hack with the rest of the world on twitter with these hashtags:

#CircularCityHack
#OSCEdays
#city
or share your ideas on our FB group:

Let’s see if we can adopt and cross pollinate good solutions to all our participating cities!

Of course feel free to choose your own activity to work on and your own dates, if June is not feasible. However please make sure you share and document as much as you can as it is essential to our community’s mission :slight_smile:

Please continue to use our forum - if you need help, there is always someone ready to answer!

Have fun, do good work and see you all in June.

Maike, Julia, Qing, Silvia, Gien, Mike, Ricardo

1 Like