[BoST Call Apr 3, 11 am GMT] - 2017 - General Call #13


Open Conference Call of the OSCEdays Board Of Stewardship

Please confirm your participation @BoST

Moderator: @sharmarval
Scribe: @Gien

1 Introduction Round

How is everybody?
Are there new people? Let’s have a quick introduction round.

2 Strategic framework

3 Docu-Days


Are there any specific points within point 2 to prepare in advance??? References, documents to read or preparations???



I’ll be at this meeting.



i am very sorry. I can’t join this call. I have a meeting I could not postpone.

Pls. discuss briefly the next Docu-Days that will happen next weekend (April 8-9). Join it or advertise it.


Meeting Minutes:

Sh: Sharon
Maike: Maike
G: Gien
S: Seigo

Facilitator: Sharon
Minutes: Gien and Sharon


Spoke to Lars about it. In runup to OSCE Days, we will have theme Saturdays. One is around food. I collected different projects - food nutrient cycle and tried to reactivate them. Look at what’s avail and get them going to do an actual hackathon on projects to do with modules to do with that cycle.

I didn’t have time to look at what’s posted on Apr 8 and 9. Most projects didn’t get back to me. What I mainly need…ideas to reach out to people. Maybe they have disappeared from the forum.

Unless you log into the forum, you may not get notification. Do they have alerts setup.

If they don’t, how do we find them again? The forum has emails somewhere. Technically, you have to leave email to setup account.

Sh: Lars, Tim or Sam may know people on the forums.

There’s privacy issue but there are so many great ideas it would be pity to not get hold of them.

Lots of people who participated may have added their name to newesletter.

Maike: For next Docuday, I’ve set up this page:

I’ve datamined anyone on forum that I could find. I’ve started to prepare that and tried to contact them through the forum. If they don’t respond, on Sun, for these things, there are online doccies on how to build these things. I could start a collection of what’s out there and get comments are what’s out there of what is helpful and what may be dangerous. You get all these instructions and you don’t know if the instruction is good or not. Good to get experts to comment on what would be good. Lars was really into this. Before they start something, start this research. A commented list would be good.

What kind of sources?

Maike: Online sources, especially in their own language.
Are you around for these Docudays?

Sh: Not next one but maybe one after that.

Maike: We could use these docudays to invite people to comment on these.

Might be good after we get more info.
For some reason I can’t get on. It tells me I’m not secure.

Same with me.

I thought the documents already added makes it a lot more understandable. But there’s a lot of broken links.

Another task.

Sh: I can see it’s valuable.

Attended wedding so haven’t been able to look at it. Took brief look only but it looks good.

If nothing else, can we move on?


I’m sorry I can’t join.

This idea of preparing next OSCE Days by looking at existing document is useful.


Sh: Added outcomes from late 2015 sessions. Made comments here and there. I’m wondering what the best way to work on this is. Ideally a session to mapping out the mission to inform the framework and document can come later.

Gien: options to morph OSCE into a more consistent permanent thing? What do people think about this approach?

Seigo: Agree
Maike: Agree
Sharon: Agree

Gien: how do we do this transformation? What steps do we need to take?
For instance, can we use this year’s event to promote this vision?

Maike: Idea of Docu-days is such that there is some programme happening before, and also suggest to do this afterwards, to finalise documentation. During the event nobody ever does it properly. DOCU-days is more pronounceable, but maybe need to see if it’s the best one.

Gien: my personal project here in Cape Town is going to take off – looking into setting up a citizen science project in Cape Town.

Gien: Has discussed in the past how OSCEdays participants develop these projects into something that can have real potential, that we can all derive a source of income from. The basic idea is that the OSCEdays platform is acting like a repository for knowledge, especially with the DOCU-days concepts, especially if we develop ideas that can be turned into real products, then we can turn it into an impactful and self-sustainable platform. For example, we are working on turbines and a complementary technology (scrap-yard battery), built with steel and brass and circular design techniques, that could complement the wind turbines. There are many other examples e.g. water condensation… and other simple low cost technologies. Working with Cape Town Science Centre on some of these. If we present it during the DOCU-days and share it on the platform, then we can all use them. I want to mature these projects to the point of testing them locally, and if they are successful we can establish a manufacturing plant, or replicate them. If we can do this, then we have the possibility of self-funding ourselves.

Maike: Suggested to look at POC21 for water examples

Gien: Yes, been in touch with Jason. I was in Spain for workshops, which inspired me…agri-food systems that don’t require pesticides etc. In touch with farmers in India, sad stories about farmers committing suicide because they can’t support their families. Also drought issues there that can benefit Indian farmer communities.

Maike: Quite a lot of waste water treatments MOOCs out there especially in NL. We should build on what is already out there.

Gien: We can also pick up contacts here and work with these people.

Sharon: It is interesting, I think we should to translate this practical stuff into the strategy.

Siego: How does it feed into framework?

Gien: Suggested to schedule an (online) workshop for the strategy

Siego: Skype not the best option…what can we use as an alternative? Would really like to spend the next 24 mins mapping out this workshop

Maike: Go back to loomio

Sharon: Also, things like padlet. Suggest that everyone needs to comment on the Strategic Framework by the next call.

Seigo: How long do we need to achieve this? In my mind I see a refined two-pager that needs to be used for public communications.

Sharon: I think that is a step up from the strategy framework

Gien: Let’s set a goal

Sharon: Agree

Maike: Let’s aim for the week prior to this year’s event to have a finalised strategy document

Seigo: What would a timeline look like? In a month have a lock-down on this document that we already have? One week to wrap it up and

Maike: Comments by the 18th April 17 and then another two weeks after have an online workshop

Maike: Loomio can help us with this process – set the deadlines / make decisions.

Sharon: Who has the access to loomio?

Maike: Maike will set up the loomio to help us with this process.

Seigo: Is this something that can be ‘live’ adaptable.

Maike: Such a framework needs to remain live. These are the fundamentals. How do we derive a strategy for that? How does it inform activities over different timelines?

Seigo: I’m not happy with the lack of clarify (paraphrased). What are we trying to do?

Maike: The purpose is to try to be transparent to the community. Only that we know what we are doing…trying to put it down on paper to be transparent to the community.

Gien: Maybe a good exercise towards the strategic framework, maybe we should do the review but also write a one-page summary as what we each see as the future? So that we can share our ideas and pool them together.

Maike: There are different futures…future of the event, future of the BoST, future of the community…Maybe we should create these topics and see.

Sharon: Too little focus, this is the risk. Because of this good people have come and go. And this to me is a risk. I don’t want to exhaust the goodwill of the community.

Maike: We are playing around a lot.

Sharon: How are we going to wrap this up?

Maike: Agree on questions that input into the strategy e.g. where do you see us/yourselves in 10 years? We have an idea already we just need to communicate it?

Seigo: Agree, with most of what has been said. 80/20 solutions good enough. Hard to take next steps when people are not here. I think we need to keep going, because we are too diplomatic, which means it doesn’t get done.

Seigo: how do we agree on the comments? Workshop can be used for this process.

Maike: We can also use loomio for this.

Maike: During the next BoST call we need to schedule this workshop.