[WORKSHOP] Integral Mycology

Mushrooms help us reconnect to nature in profound ways.
Paul Stamets, Mycelium Running

In this workshop, we’ll explore the concept of Integral Mycology and the wealth of resources this perspective makes available in an urban setting. Much of the inspiration for this workshop comes from the excellent book The Integral Urban House - one of the very first manuals about urban permaculture and circular resource usage in modern human communities.

We combine these insights with mycology - the study of mushrooms - and the natural role of mycelium in breaking down materials, cycling nutrients and simultaneously filling multiple ecological roles.

We’ll discuss each component - urban permaculture, circular and integral functions, and mycology - separately, and then how we might combine these functions into something more.

The workshop will center around using paper waste as a resource to grow mycelium - for food, medicine, art, and more.

Later in the OSCEdays, there will be a brainstorming session/challenge (link goes here when it’s up!) surrounding integral mycology and where these methods might find a fit in our vision of a more circular and open-source Berlin. If you wish to join that, it’s very helpful to participate in this workshop!

Time: Sunday, 2 July, 15:30-17:00
Cost: Free to attend, but 3 EUR to cover material costs if you wish to participate in the hands-on component.
Additional Materials: If you want to participate in the hands-on component, please bring a large jar (500ml+) with a lid to grow your mycelium in!

1 Like

Hi,

I just browsed through your website Dax and found this link you shared to an incredibly rich reddit community on growing mushrooms. Super cool! Looks like everything someone needs to get started is there.

2 Likes

It’s a very good community! I should have linked to it myself earlier - people there are really friendly and open and every part of the expereince is open - from very concrete plans about building equipment and space to theorizing about new ways to grow and use mushrooms, and all this from beginner to very advanced levels.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks.

Btw. I used an image from zerowastelabs here and here. Ok with you?

no problem at all :slight_smile:

1 Like