OPEN COLLECTION – The Circular City

If we wanted to create an action to be developed, I think that basic parameters should be established to make it easier to understand the exercise.

I leave some ideas that could become action.

Develop elements for use in a home environment that allow the products to be adapted to domestic use (kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc.)

To develop an appliance that can increase (duplicate or quadruple) the useful life of the appliance through component development (MOD - mod - CO - RE).

Develop products for collaborative use that adapt to the needs of each individual and thus eliminate the need to purchase complete products. (An example would be that in a residential complex there would be some community MODs and each family would have the Mod - RE - CO kit to allow them to wash, transport, dry, cook, etc. depending on their specific needs).

2 Likes

Slightly different to tours but Circular Cambridge has setup a Circular Challenge to challenge folk to move toward more circular ways.

Here is our DIF session wrapping up what was discussed so far and inviting you to continue the conversation here and to join Phase 2 now.

2 Likes

Interesting open source material flow mapping tool, to understand a city’s urban metabolism.

1 Like

Hi @RicardoRug

###On Modularity

I am looking at modularity for a while now and discovered that in a lot of areas it comes with problems. The Spreading Errors Effect is an important one. It effects your first example.

And Project ARA got cancelled recently because it turned out to be a „terrible idea.“ It would have cost even more …

Don’t get me wrong, I still love the idea of modularity - that is the reason I create this ACTION about it. But it seems it does not work everywhere. We have to look for the areas, where it works.

###On The Product Design ACTION

I think, such an ACTION should be more free. I like the simple idea to just set ‘Make one Re-, Co- & Mod-’ because it makes some restrictions but it is ok, because after this you have maximum freedom. Invent the product you want to - for example a robotic broom that works only on Mars. For OSCEdays this might work better. People like to follow their own ideas - if they accept a framework (materials and construction principles) they should be able to at least pick what they design. It is more fun.

I imagine the key part of the ACTION would be to have a short list for Re-, Co-, Mod- to get people inspired. Does not have to be a complete list. On the contrary. Just enough to make them understand what to look for (how to identify Re-, Co-, & Mod-). And examples for Mod– ? Well ll there are a lot of modular toys out there. This could be a start. And let them come up with the rest.

10 different modular toys made to connect by the Free Universal Construction Kit.

What do you think? Can we collect a list of examples for Re-, Co- & Mod-?

By the way - I have started a collection on modularity a while ago here on the forum:

1 Like

Hello, you are absolutely right, the commitment and complexity to the development of modular elements must be quite strong. The effects posed are generated in the products in this way are frequent and very difficult to control. This is why it also raises than is very complicated to develop this Type of products without associated services or actions by the users and the community that allow these products to be replaced or exchanged and work correctly how were raised from the beginning . other elements than should be taken into account can be in a certain way should Allow the user to create the necessary refractions for the development of these products and many times the market or technical difficulties of each country make this too It will be very complicated.

Now to give some examples of what could be Mod network we could pose the this way are Examples of each (mod co re) module that are not related to each other.

An example of a Mod would be the motor component of a washing machine in which are kept an structure with the dimensions base related for example to the capacity (12 15 21 Lt). This can be usefull becouse the production and disasembly of this part is dificult and dont allow to recycle all the materials, and other parts like the tank or the chains have a minor life time. In this case we can keep the Mod and give the other parts of the machine and allowd to buy only the part i need.

Give some time i create a list of examples.

3 Likes

4 Likes

@RicardoRug Great. I started to develop a frame for an ACTION – Design A Circular Product based on those ideas. I will post the first draft in the coming hours/tomorrow. Let’s continue the discussion then in that thread.

Hi Ricardo, I started the development of an ACTION. Have a look at it. Does it make sense? And let’s continue the development discussion over there:

Regenerative Cities: The animation (6 mins - produced by the University of Sheffield) can be seen here. Unusually good :slight_smile:

1 Like

How can you have a circular economy without a circular money? You can see Michael Linton, the designer of the 80’s LETSystem, explain the new Open Money system here. Based on open source principles, it’s scaleable and FREE. Should be perfect for both @E_BioReg and Madrid. Everyone else, please get in touch :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with @E_BioReg?

3 Likes

#Food Grown In The City

Modular Urban Food Gardening Experimentation Framework – ACTION idea posted:

1 Like

Hello @Lessmoore!

Thank you for the Open Money system link! I’ve just started viewing it and will revert to you and the rest of the group!

We’ve run an action last weekend with local ecologic organic farming group in Madrid who are doing compost from organic waste and in order to introduce circular economy, we’ve created a community coin (MOL - Organic Matter Rescued, translated from spanish), which will value the organic waste to be spent on the products they have in their Local Market.

As it was the first day of the action, most people just starting to get to know the project and they showed interest in knowing that their waste could nourish the soil, and at the same time, make them save some money in the market.

Attached you can find some pictures:

We are launching also an app with clickcoin in order to have this Organic Matter Rescued recorded, as well as to show Local Authorities the interest from the community for a good treatment of waste.

Thank you again for your reference!

4 Likes

Dear @Sylke @simonlee @Alice_audrey,
Loved your idea, Porto should have a Circle Dinner. Have to read all your methodology more carefully to see how it can be feasible here.
Best Ana

2 Likes

Hi!
Have you already experienced it in the Netherlands? If so, how was it?

Hi Ana, no I haven’t…I just stumbled across it. Have you used it? :slight_smile:

Can

##Urban Food Gardening Startups

become leading agents to make our cities circular and resilient?

READ THE ARTICLE / & comment it here on the forum

click

1 Like

A new report on circular cities from UCL’s circular cities hub:

Update: Here is a related thread:

A short report has been published by the EMF on the topic of circular cities:

I publication I co-authored that studies the policy context for six EU ‘circular cities’: Circular Cities: Mapping Six Cities in Transition’ can be downloaded here. We argue for a multi-stakeholder approach that emphasises civil society. OSCEDays is mentioned:

2 Likes

##The Open Source Circular City
###A Scenario To Inspire City Hackers

I was invited as a resident to a place called ZK/U and I used the time to write a full ‘SCENARIO about the Open Source Circular City’ that is meant to inspire Hacking our Cities for Circularity!

The Scenario has a lot of ideas and concepts for hacks you can implement right away. Please check the link:

##Full Scenario

Some ideas from it

Slow down traffic (scenario layer 4 ‘mobility’)

Get rid of cars and repurpose the space for circular activities (layer 5 ‘people’)

Transform the city into a botanical garden (layer 3 ‘nature’)

Turn every building into a farm scraper (layer 7 ‘buildings’)

###More Here

And here is an invitation on our Forum to hack your city!

1 Like