Sustainability-conscious cosmetic companies are running take-back schemes with their bottles. But many of the collected post-consumed bottles either not recycled non-circular way, or recycled into something else at most.
- Different materials are often combined in one bottle: PP, PE, PET, ABS, glass
- Aggressive marketing of FMCG: fancy coatings and additives difficult to take off
- Greasy contents: needs intense cleaning
- More expensive to use recycled materials
- Hygienic concerns for reused bottles
- Eco design bottles that can be reprocessed into a bottle again, keeping the market competitiveness
- New approach to the cosmetics distribution system: product-> service