[BoST Call, March 28, 2016] – General Call of provisional BoST No 10


#1

Meeting of the provisional and open OSCEdays Board of Stewardship (BoST) - See full list of BoST meetings here.


We will meet at 10am GMT on Skype on March 28, 2016

Do you want to join? Let us know - ping @Lars2i and @sharmarval

##AGENDA
What should we discuss? Please add things here (post is a wiki) or as a comment below.

MODERATOR of this call: @cameralibre

##1 Hi
Who is going to document?
How are you? / Do we have new people in the call? Please introduce yourself and tell us how you are today.

##2 New Timing for BoST Calls!
###A Dates
We meet today on the third monday of the month. Initially we said to meet every first and third monday. So following our two weeks schedule in the future from now on we will meet on the second and fourth monday. Next Calls are on: April 11, April 25, May 9.

###B Times
As discussed in the last calls we will alter every two weeks the time to be able to include all parts of the world. We have now two new timeslots.

10am GMT

7pm GMT - Be aware this has changed as well! Since now most europe based people have switched to summer time (day light saving) we have to switch from 8pm GMT to 7pm GMT - otherwise the call would be too late. In your local time the time will be the same. Just the GMT part changes. The info is more important for people that don’t have daylight savings.

NEXT CALLS THEN:

April 11, 7pm GMT
April 25, 10am GMT
May 9, 7pm GMT

To compare to your local timezone Worldtimebuddy is doing a great job.

###Important
Please, in the future, if you can’t make a @BoST call leave a note under the Agenda of the call you will not be able to attend. It is easier to know that way. thx.

##3 Founding delayed: What to do? First members gathering vs. new founding meeting.

As written here in a comment from March 2016 we got feedback from the court. They demand that we add something to our statutes. I made a mistake and not copy to the statutes how members can leave the association m( - very sorry for that. They demand that we have a members gathering to make the change. We have two options now.

###OPTION A. Members Gathering
Problems with this:

  • according to our statutes this is a very long process. 8 weeks from announcement to actual decisions plus 6 weeks till all the decisions are legally fix.
  • It would take a lot of energy to set up the complex online voting process / it would overlap in time and compete in attention with the event.
  • Initially was planned to have the first gathering after the event - as a way to keep the community involved and invent the whole thing.

###OPTION B. We found again.
We just do a new founding meeting. This we can do immediately. Because we are not bound to the 8 week rule.

  • Problem is, it would cost us ca 150 Euro extra. (yes, and a new founding meeting, but this is not too complicated.)

###What to do?
@djcoco suggested to go with the members gathering. Because we are already half through the door. The members thing was the only change the court demanded. And maybe next time, when we found again, they find something new . . .

They gave us 3 months to do the change. Which is impossible because 8 weeks plus 6 weeks - is already 3 months . . .

What do you think? I’d suggest I call the court and ask if they are ok with giving us 6/7 months to do the change in a regular members gathering. Then we can still have it after the event and as a way to involve the community. But then the first inline process would already include something strange, complex and unappealing like a small change to the statutes . . . s**** :frowning:

##4 News: We have “Stories from 2015” now on the page
Strange that this comes so late. But as agreed in the last call and followed by the discussion here we have now some selected stories with outcomes from last year on our page. Do you have anything to add? Any feedback? Let’s discuss now or add to the discussion.

##5 Newsletter No2 is in the making
@Jaime & @sharmarval are in the process of putting together a new newsletter. Feel free to add suggestions and support them in that task.

In that process they decided to use Mailchimp for it from now on. It is not Open Source :-(. But after checking the Open Source Solution we had in place they found that this solution was not developed enough.

##6 Progress in fundraising

###I Fixit is Partner
Great I Fixit will sponsor each event with a free repair kit and the global event with their media outreach.

###Jaime has a new strategy!
@Jaime has set up a fantastic new sponsorship strategy. It is all in the sponsorship category. Have a look there. Next week he will give us an introduction I guess.

###Donation of “half an intern” from the CRCLR lab
I discussed with @simon in Berlin. Maybe the CRCLR lab will sponsor/partner with us - and dedicate 50% of the time of one of their future interns to the global OSCEdays.

###Place a big (local) partner on the page?
Just a question: In Berlin @Ina managed to get a well known and big company as a challenger/sponsor of the Berlin event for now. I (@Lars2i) will be in the call with them. And I wonder if I should offer to them to go also on the main page of OSCEdays. As long as we lack big partners it will be hard to get others on board. To place them on the main page could make things easier. But they are local challengers/sponsors (for now). And where to draw the line? If we give this to one event … we should offer this to all local events. Or can we make an exception here. When global is funded it is also good for all local events. What do you think?

##7 Resources: Any ideas how we can get more resources in
Situation: If you count everything together we have right now for actual organisational work in the global part not even a single full-time person. For everything from onboarding, to fundraising, to webcommunication to . . . We need more ideas how to get more resources.

Mentorship program: no progress. Still not sure if we will have the resources for it.

Maybe we get an intern for half of the time (see above).

##8 Picking up the discussion from Feb29: Continuity – maintaining momentum post-June (10min)
Now that the association is founded it’s good to consider what happens after June to capture as much value as possible from the Days.

Here is the topic where we collect ideas for future activities and projects.

. . .

Anything to add?

. . .


##Next Call

Next BoST Call is April 11, 2016, 7pm GMT

Who is going to be the moderator of the next call and the deputy?


[COMMUNITY MAIL (Local Organizers), April 2016] - I Fixit kits and Logo on Main page
[BoST Call, March 14, 2016] – General provisional BoST meeting No 9
[BoST] OSCEdays Board Of Stewardship – About, Meetings & How To Join
[TASK] Building an OSCEdays Organisation
FUTURE PROJECTS & Activities / Post-Main Event
#2

Links shared by Gien in the call:

[28.03.16 12:29:36] gien: http://opendesignct.com/
[28.03.16 12:31:06] gien: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexandre-lemille/circular-economy-20_b_9376488.html
http://openmoney.org/ (shared in the discussion about the “donate” button.)

http://www.gcsm.eu/ - Festival in autumn to connect to.

http://www.fcl.ethz.ch/


#3

#Documentation
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Documentation in grey between the Agenda
MODERATOR: @cameralibre
NOTES: @Lars2i (typed with 9 fingers and in a hurry.)

In the call were: @cameralibre @TechnicalNature @Gien @JuliaP @Melanie_Tan @Lars2i
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##1 Hi
Who is going to document?
How are you? / Do we have new people in the call? Please introduce yourself and tell us how you are today.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Melanie is new. She works at Sustainable Living Lab in Singapore, connecting fablabs and makerspaces in south east asia around circular economy
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##2 New Timing for BoST Calls!
###A Dates
We meet today on the third monday of the month. Initially we said to meet every first and third monday. So following our two weeks schedule in the future from now on we will meet on the second and fourth monday. Next Calls are on: April 11, April 25, May 9.

###B Times
As discussed in the last calls we will alter every two weeks the time to be able to include all parts of the world. We have now two new timeslots.

10am GMT

7pm GMT - Be aware this has changed as well! Since now most europe based people have switched to summer time (day light saving) we have to switch from 8pm GMT to 7pm GMT - otherwise the call would be too late. In your local time the time will be the same. Just the GMT part changes. The info is more important for people that don’t have daylight savings.

NEXT CALLS THEN:

April 11, 7pm GMT
April 25, 10am GMT
May 9, 7pm GMT

To compare to your local timezone Worldtimebuddy is doing a great job.

###Important
Please, in the future, if you can’t make a @BoST call leave a note under the Agenda of the call you will not be able to attend. It is easier to know that way. thx.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Check! no questions asked.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##3 Founding delayed: What to do? First members gathering vs. new founding meeting.

As written here in a comment from March 2016 we got feedback from the court. They demand that we add something to our statutes. I made a mistake and not copy to the statutes how members can leave the association m( - very sorry for that. They demand that we have a members gathering to make the change. We have two options now.

###OPTION A. Members Gathering
Problems with this:

  • according to our statutes this is a very long process. 8 weeks from announcement to actual decisions plus 6 weeks till all the decisions are legally fix.
  • It would take a lot of energy to set up the complex online voting process / it would overlap in time and compete in attention with the event.
  • Initially was planned to have the first gathering after the event - as a way to keep the community involved and invent the whole thing.

###OPTION B. We found again.
We just do a new founding meeting. This we can do immediately. Because we are not bound to the 8 week rule.

  • Problem is, it would cost us ca 150 Euro extra. (yes, and a new founding meeting, but this is not too complicated.)

###What to do?
@djcoco suggested to go with the members gathering. Because we are already half through the door. The members thing was the only change the court demanded. And maybe next time, when we found again, they find something new . . .

They gave us 3 months to do the change. Which is impossible because 8 weeks plus 6 weeks - is already 3 months . . .

What do you think? I’d suggest I call the court and ask if they are ok with giving us 6/7 months to do the change in a regular members gathering. Then we can still have it after the event and as a way to involve the community. But then the first inline process would already include something strange, complex and unappealing like a small change to the statutes . . . s**** :frowning:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We discussed this briefly and after a short discussion we decided to go with Option B - do a new founding meeting. @cameralibre,@technicalnature, @Melanie_Tan, @JuliaP voted or Option B. @Gien @Lars2i no vote.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##4 News: We have “Stories from 2015” now on the page
Strange that this comes so late. But as agreed in the last call and followed by the discussion here we have now some selected stories with outcomes from last year on our page. Do you have anything to add? Any feedback? Let’s discuss now or add to the discussion.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Check.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##5 Newsletter No2 is in the making
@Jaime & @sharmarval are in the process of putting together a new newsletter. Feel free to add suggestions and support them in that task.

In that process they decided to use Mailchimp for it from now on. It is not Open Source :-(. But after checking the Open Source Solution we had in place they found that this solution was not developed enough.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
check!

Sam described again very well, that whenever we are in need of a technology we look first if there is a suitable Open Source option that helps us to protect the privacy of our users. If there is none we can go with a closed and proprietary option. But let’s check from time to time if the situtation has changed.

And not for this newsletter but maybe for the next @Melanie_Tan suggested to include some of the CE success stories or approaches from Asia into the newsletter to bring in more Asian perspectives. We discussed that this could also be something good for a Blogpost. Let’s look at it soon.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##6 Progress in fundraising

###I Fixit is Partner
Great I Fixit will sponsor each event with a free repair kit and the global event with their media outreach.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
What exactly do they expect in return for this? @Jaime knows. @Jaime let us know what we need to do/how to help you deliver.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

###Jaime has a new strategy!
@Jaime has set up a fantastic new sponsorship strategy. It is all in the sponsorship category. Have a look there. Next week he will give us an introduction I guess.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
check
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

###Donation of “half an intern” from the CRCLR lab
I discussed with @simonlee in Berlin. Maybe the CRCLR lab will sponsor/partner with us - and dedicate 50% of the time of one of their future interns to the global OSCEdays.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
check
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

###Place a big (local) partner on the page?
Just a question: In Berlin @Ina managed to get a well known and big company as a challenger/sponsor of the Berlin event for now. I (@Lars2i) will be in the call with them. And I wonder if I should offer to them to go also on the main page of OSCEdays. As long as we lack big partners it will be hard to get others on board. To place them on the main page could make things easier. But they are local challengers/sponsors (for now). And where to draw the line? If we give this to one event … we should offer this to all local events. Or can we make an exception here. When global is funded it is also good for all local events. What do you think?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Discussed solution was that we give each local organizer one spot on the main page where they can place one of their local sponsors. We will communicate that to them in the next community mail.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##7 Resources: Any ideas how we can get more resources in
Situation: If you count everything together we have right now for actual organisational work in the global part not even a single full-time person. For everything from onboarding, to fundraising, to webcommunication to . . . We need more ideas how to get more resources.

Mentorship program: no progress. Still not sure if we will have the resources for it.

Maybe we get an intern for half of the time (see above).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
We discussed a “Donate Button” on the page. As soon we have a bank account let’s install one. It is not very likely that a lot of people will donate but a Donate button communicates well what kind of organization we are.

@TechnicalNature mentioned that she was talking to EMF - and it is very likely that we can get Ken Webster as a mentor in our mentorship program. If we find the resources to set one up.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

##8 Picking up the discussion from Feb29: Continuity – maintaining momentum post-June (10min)
Now that the association is founded it’s good to consider what happens after June to capture as much value as possible from the Days.

Here is the topic where we collect ideas for future activities and projects.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
###collaborate with other events
@Gien brought up the Sustainable Manufacturing conference in October and that they also said if we have something they can do/share they would like to do it. @TechnicalNature told us, that EMF is also planning their next ThinkDIF and there is the possibility that we collaborate to get more practical stuff on the ground going on during the DIF. Together with what we discussed earlier with GreenFest it looks like we should really focus on to develop tools and methods to bring “OSCEdays action” to other events.

###communicate OS & CE
@Melanie_Tan shared some approaches they developed in Asia to teach Circular Economy where the concept is too new and to familiar at the same time. They do not tall about “Circular Economy” but about “repairing” “maintaining” “reuse” - practical things people can do and understand. And then they say - btw. this is CE. I think we can learn a lot from this and also the OSCEdays could tweak their communication a bit in that direction. | Anyway: An open project how to explain CE (together with OS!) in a simple way could be a very good and necessary project. There are also points speaking about this in our Future Wish List.

###support for funding
Creating more resources for local teams to get funding could be an important project. @Gien talked about http://openmoney.org/ - some kind of local alternative currency system local organizers could use. They will pilot it this year in the OSCEdays Cape Town event - maybe it is worth to include it into our work. We’ll see.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .