[BoST Call Feb 20, 7 pm GMT] - 2017 - General Call #10


#1

Open Conference Call of the OSCEdays Board Of Stewardship

Please confirm your participation @BoST

Moderator: _______
Scribe: __________

1 Introduction Round

How is everybody?
Are there new people? Let’s have a quick introduction round.

2 News

3 Organizational Matters

3.1 Update BoST roles
Silvia will provide a list of roles that are not covered.

3.2 Communication

3.3 Global event 8 - 12 June 2017 - update
Cities have started to register. Any problems with registration or onboarding?

3.3.1 SPREAD THE CALL for cities 2017
3.3.2 Resources needed: update from Lars and Jose

3.4 OSCE funding options
See open discussion and contribute.

4 Other - Please add


#2

I’ll be there, might not make it 21.00 sharp.


#3

Got new Skype, I hope I can now finally participate again.


#4

Hello,

unfortunately I cant join today.
Regarding topics of discussion:
3.1 I will be collecting updates for and sending out newsletters.
3.2 I read about and support the media partnership with Shareable.


#5

Sil
Jose
Seigo
Sharon
GIen
Lars
Marmenu

3.1: BOST ROLES

Sil:
Lots of roles that don’t have a backup.
One role that is open is communication head. That is problematic

Jose is working with Lars for Website management. But not having backups is a problem.

Sh:
It is. We need at least 2 people for any activity.

Sil:
We won’t solve today but should remind people to volunteer. Some roles like infrastructure are important. Now that Jose is working with Lars, I am confident we won’t fall through. That is really technical expertise that we cannot miss. Let’s keep on agenda until critical roles and backups are filled.

Sh:
Agreed.

3.2 COMMUNICATIONS

Sil:
Everyone is spreading the event

Sh:
Have many people signed up at this stage?

Sil:
Pretty quick. This means people are signing up right away.

Seigo:
Do we have access to EMF newsletter? They have good coverage. Maybe we can ask Joe?

Sh:
Makes sense. I think he is quite supportive of us.

Sil:
WHo will ask him?

Sh:
Who was in touich with him? Lars and Franz?

Sil:
Yes.

Seigo:
If it hasn’t been done by next call, I’ll do it.

3.3 Global event 8 - 12 June 2017 - update

Sil: Haven’t seen anything on onboarding. We all need to do onboarding of new cities. I haven’t seen any requests for that.

Seig:
Can we record one youtube video to answer most of the questions. Open source video - i played at Cambridge event - that was useful. 80 cities - that will take up a lot of time.

Sil:
Not every city is new. Our experience is that new local organizers need personal attention, even if they don’t pan out. We did lots of onboarding last year but many couldn’t get an event up.

Seig:
Vetting process for new cities - I spoke to Lars about it when setting up Cambridge event. Right now I can’t set that info up for other cities.

Sil:
I think Lars can show you. He sets up pw.

Seig:
Are we continuing with that so not spreading out.

Sil:
My question is how many of these pages are being used? Many are setup and not being used.

Sh:
Many pages setup but not used

Sil:
So maybe we need some cleanup.We haven’t thought about deleting anything yet but it’s getting overwhelming. Hard to distinguiish between what is useful and what is idle. Maybe Sept after 2017 event, we can see which pages are idle and give notice to owners.

G:
Instead of deleting, how about the ones that are active show up but the inactive ones don’t.

Sil:
How about talking to people who committed to an event but didn’t organize one. How can we help them? Or consolidate?

G: What about we have an OSCE Days 1 page communications that uni’s can be organizers

Jose: We want to develop a social marketplace like an Uber or Airbnb but not capitalistic

SIl:
This is exactly what I am talking about. We develop concrete project out of this.
Jose: I talked to fellow who build these design tools with Setcho
Also I am meeting with Marcin tomorrow. They don’t have this platform so I think we can help him.

Sil:
Invite him to one of our BoST calls - both of them.
We have as date to talk about long term plan - March 20. Gien already has many ideas and suggestions for our outlook for the next 5 years. What are the main projects…like social enterprise like you mentioned.

Sh:
On that note, Jose sent private mail about strategy. I commented that there was this strategy doc we started but never finished. I will send to you. It needs some work. BUt it’s a starting point>

Sil:
GIen, can you open new topic: Strategic framework or 5 year road map and collect everyone’s ideas and add this new big project. What we see as major outcome is global social enterprise.

Jose:
There’s interesting things on open enterprise model - a manifesto already. There are many things that are foundational like Gien showing about the model. We should definitely use them with more purpose and translate. We have all the raw material to do that.

Sil
And it’s longer conversation on formal structure for our organization. So this is a good one.

JOse: I have economically viable, doesn’t have to be commercial in traditional sense.

Sil
We should be open to new collaborations but if someone is reluctant, we don’t spend energy.

Sh:
Agreed

G: I will open strategic framework.

Sil:
It’s very exciting to see that what was planned in the beginning is coming back to

Gien:
I won’t be avail on Mar 20. Traveling!

Sil
Let’s do it April 3, 2017 11am

Jose:
240 EU for webhosting

Sil:
We should start formatting for salary needs?

Jose:
Can we have a group dedicated to that? I can help but I don’t know what needs to go there.

Sil:
Did you get budget from Jamie?

Jose:
No

Lars:
Jakarta, Tehran and Dubai are new cities - same group that organized 2 events last year. This year they want to expand to Tehran.

Sil:
Onboarding new cities. I haven’t seen any requests for that. Are we ready for each of for onboarding?

Lars:
We have 4 cities now. They created topic on the forum. Super easy to handle.

Sil:
We also spoke about how people use their pages and not leave it idle. In Sept, we try to put at the bottom some of the pages that are idle. We discussed the idea of cities that could not organize events.

Lars:
I don’t expect higher than 73. Everyone who uses forum is interested they want to do something. Best case maybe 20 or 15. I want to go for quality this year.

Sil:
No onboarding then…self-help. But worthwhile talking to the cities that went idle to see what problem was. We want to see continuity. We want to see build up, not a one off.

G:
I think we need to encourage people to have sustainable projects that go all year round.

3.4 FUNDING

Lars:
Carpet maker is interested. Deadline is April for this grant. Patagonia.

Seig:
Who do you know at Interface

Lars:
Great! Soon as Jaimie gets me in touch. You can try to intervene if you think it’s worth.

Sil:
We’ll refresh last years funding spreadsheet? We make a tab for 2017.

Lars:
To be honest, for sponsorship…almost impossible for decentralized event. Jamie worked hard and didn’t manage to get anything. Maybe we should learn this lesson and don’t waste too much time if we don’t have contact who is really promising.

Sh:
In Berlin, you, me and Mica spoke about this. We learned some lessons and risk forgetting them. I haven’t been in call last few weeks but I thought we invest more in content.

Sil:
I still think at local events. We get Interface contacts in France and make that contact. Expectation that funding will be shared with global organization.


#6

Hello everyone, sorry for connecting so late but it’s the only time I can.

I want to comment on some of the topics.

3 Organizational matters

It is necessary that we talk about what is OSCED as an organization and how it is articulated with the activities of the cities, so that it is also clear to the participants of the OSCEdays event.

I remind you to read a previous paper that I submitted on a proposal for the work of the cities (Organization to global OSCE activities)

3.1 Update BoST roles

Facebook and twitter Group Manager
here in bogota we have a facebook and a twitter for the event osced in our city. i dont know if maybe we can help with the labor in those items or continue to promote and comunicate the OSCED activities in this sites (I mean, it may be so good to have a communication in Spanish (it could be changed to OSCED español or something like) or as bad as segmenting a lot and you miss the goal of showing a unified OSCED.)

Newsletter
We should all prepare Newsletter and keep the work of osced up to date, and within the obligations of the participating cities we should ask that from time to time inform us and create a small paragraph that explains the progress of the preparation of the event and the activities to be carried out, So that we can use it in the newsletter

3.2 Communication

For Colombia (and that can be useful in the Hispanic countries) we are translating some information about OSCED that will help us to summon more participants, cities and interested in the network. The idea is to make more clear for each group the objectives of OSCED and to make clarity on the events.

3.3 We have been meeting with someInterested in Bogotá and convening various stakeholders in other cities.

Bucaramanga (who participated last year connected to Bogota) are interested this year in generating their own event, they commented on the interest of more several cities to participate and we are thinking of developing a joint event with those cities with a special theme for which we are going To communicate with them and make clear the objective and willingness to develop activities before they register.

On the other hand, there are universities that are working on the subject of open source and the circular economy that are interested to create their own activities and start to be part of OSCED, only that at the moment they are analyzing if they can connect it with their academic activities and Including joining the work they already do within the LENSES (LENSES.POLITO.IT) network that is an academic network on sustainability that is developing some open source projects.

3.3.1 DIFFUSING THE CALL for cities 2017

About cities that failed to develop an event in previous years, we could all help to understand a little about what happened, I propose that each one take a number of cities and seek to communicate with the proponents to make this work happen soon .

thats all. read you soon.


#7

Sorry, again my skype didn’t manage to connect. Plus I find it hard to keep on top of things at home for some time now.

Anyhow: I would like to work on the content focus, I’ll try to set up something by next week, if the chaos here allows. Sorry to miss the first writer’s weekend as well.


#8

@RicardoRug slow response…I’m reading some old threads. Do you have more information about the open source LENSES projects? That sound very interesting for us.

Also, I really think your suggestion to pick a few cities each and make contact to get more understand about a lot of things would be a really good thing to do. Especially now that a lot of work is done on the internal OSCE strategy, it is timely to get some feedback from the community on this and past experiences.


#9

Hi. the network lens (learning network on sustainability) was born in Italy in order to connect the different universities that are working on the subject of sustainability seen from an open, available and accessible approach to all those who want to take advantage of the material developed here. the central point is sustainability, but the open source is an important part of the network since it is understood that only addressing this issue openly if development and dissemination is to facilitate the learning of these issues.

http://www.lens.polimi.it/

anyone can access the material, previously registering without any cost, but only those who are registered as a local network (Latin America, Colombia, Italy, Australia, Asia, among others) can upload material. I understand that this part is not as open as we would like but they do it with an argument: to know what is being developed from the academy, so only the academies registered (any academy can register without cost) can upload material for the use of any user. this model has allowed to develop also classes between universities, to share resources, to develop joint modules among many other things, the projects proposed in one part of the world can be executed in another one as for example some developed theoretically in Italy and soon launched in Africa .

I do not know if this makes the point clearer.

About the other point, it would be possible, for example, to use a model similar to that of LENS, I would dialogue directly with each of the cities that have participated or create work teams that allow to understand by localities what is happening, what vision they have, that they can contribute and then unify all the material.