[BoST Call, August 6, 7 pm GMT] - 2018 - General Call #8

Open Conference Call of the OSCEdays Board Of Stewardship
Minimum quorum: 3
Duration: 90 minutes

Please confirm your participation @BoST

Moderator: Silvia
Scribe: Gien
Participants: Qing, Ricardo

1 Introduction Round

How is everybody?
Are there new people? Let’s have a quick introduction round.
Reminder of roles and tasks: TO DO LIST
Note: We have to update the roles and tasks as soon as possible.

2 OSCE review
update by Maike and Qing

3 June events review
[Summary] [BoST Call, July 9, 7 pm GMT] - 2018 - General Call #7)

4 Open Actions

  • Video communication - Ricardo

  • Register association - Maike and Qing

  • Re-name OSCE using a simpler, better name and acronym - Qing
    Silvia will ask Jaime at the beginning of September

  • Other conference to apply to, which one is it? - Maike mentioned it

5 Agenda for next call on September 3

Hi. Here the final video. I just have to put the music in.

1 Like

Perfect, thank you Ricardo. We’ll talk in a few hours.

Music suggestions for LE: cheerful, accelerating, triumphal (like the trance-like state induced by LE, where we are cheerleeded towards “falling off the cliff” ever faster and louder)

Carl Maria von Weber -The Dance
Gioacchino Rossini - La gazza ladra
Ravel - Bolero

R Ricardo
S Silvia
G Gien
Q Qing

1 Introduction Round

How is everybody?

Q: Waiting for feedback about our application. I haven’t heard anything from Maike.
Lars said there’s still money in bank account.

R: Just finished the video. We are about 1 month away from water hackathon and just preparing materials for all the universities. There are 6 universities in sustainability classes to present that day. We want to arrive with ideas on that day and work in the afternoon with all the teams, promoting and working on making better these ideas.

S: Can you post it on the OSCEdays Bogota page?

R: Last week, we created the presentation. We have the info in Spanish. I have to translate it.

S: Put it in Spanish first. Find an intern to do translation.

G: I’m just organizing meeting between Indian NGO and Ricardo for hackathon.

S: John from Enspiral knows you and Sam Muirhead. As part of 350.org, we are preparing for global climate summit on Sept - Oct. I’m part of planning committee. Few hundred people will march and have townhall with elected officials. I’m going to apply principles to 3D print toys for my grandson using hemp bio-base filament.

R: I have open source collection of toys I can share 3D designs with you.

S: This can open up new line of products. I would like to 3D print kitchenware.

Are there new people? Let’s have a quick introduction round.
Reminder of roles and tasks: TO DO LIST
Note: We have to update the roles and tasks as soon as possible.

2 OSCE review
update by Maike and Qing

3 June events review
[Summary] [BoST Call, July 9, 7 pm GMT] - 2018 - General Call #7)

R: Can we write to each city and ask if they can summarize what they did or are doing. Something that can link to the info in the forum. We can use it to connect all the teams, and all the work they are doing.

S: Since video is almost ready to go, we won’t wait for responses. We can always update.If we wait for people to document, it won’t happen.

G: How about each of us contacts people and interview them?

R: I can contact people who speak Spanish.

G: We can be proactive and go out and do this. It also builds community.

S: Set deadline for Sept 2 to finish interviewing different OSCEdays teams for their event stories.
Silvia will share her excel spreadsheet for us to put all the interview content into.

4 Open Actions

Video communication - Ricardo

S: Ricardo is finished the video.
R: I put in all 3 parts in the video. I have to put some sound effects and music. If you think it’s not easy to understand, I can make changes. The 3rd part can be longer to explain what we want to do.

S: Let’s go with it. You’ve worked on a long time already. This can never end.

R: I can send script or you can comment on the video

S: We need suggestions for music and other things. We will give it another week.
G: I think we need to proactively engage with people. Publishing a request isn’t enough. When we contact people to interview them, we can ask them to comment on the video as well.

S: Great. Let’s give it one week.

R, G, Q: Ok.

Register association - Maike and Qing

Q: We are waiting. It’s about 4 to 6 weeks to wait.
S: If you need an urgent call, let us know on the forum or email and we can convene to discuss.
Q: Rename? We can’t change our name now. It is legally Open Source Circular Economy Days but for our event, we have a shortcut like “Open Circular” that’s easier to remember.
S: I understand. We can brand it differently than the legal name. Jamie is on vacation. I’ll ask him at beginning of Sept.
Q: Officially, it was registered in Germany. Board is here as well. For local event, we also need local team to hold the event. Maybe we can call that Open CIrcular Couch, like Gien said, we need to engage with people. Let members join us and engage with the events.

S: We already have that.
Q: What do you mean?
S: Every city has local organizer.
Q: Do we have a list of every organizer?
S: You’ll see in the OSCEdays summary.
G: How do you integrate Hackathon? It didn’t happen in June. Neither is Ricardo’s Sept event. We need some clear way forward with this.

Q: June for presenting results of work done year round.

Re-name OSCE using a simpler, better name and acronym - Qing
Silvia will ask Jaime at the beginning of September

Other conference to apply to, which one is it? - Maike mentioned it
Q: Last time we met, we talked about registration, website - do we have money to redo the website. Somebody needs to admin it instead of Lars. Maike has some web program. She’ll think about some ideas and suggest to us. We’ll see how much money we have in the organization. We still have some money in the trust account that can payi for website work. Finance plan will go ahead after we have confirmed the association. That’s the plan for Sept.

S: I plan to go to Germany event “Urban Transformation to a Circular Economy” in Oct. I don’t have a speaking slot. I"m in Paris at the time so it’s as short trip to go here. The themes are interesting.
R: I’m suppose to be there in Torino at end of Sept but friend who was going to be there with us…his mother died, so we may change plans.
S: This is an event we are just attending, not giving talks.

5 Agenda for next call on September 3
S: We have the summary, open actions, anything else?
G: We’ll have feedback on planning of the water hackathon with Columbia
We may talk to Cape Town Science Centre and see if they want to do citizen science worskhops to work on some of the tech
Q: The hackathon is a good model. Maybe we can develop a strategy and guideline we can share with other cities. A lot of NGO’s are searching for these types of projects. In China, they are searching for these types of projects. This is really interesting.
S: It’s effective way to get funding. It’s much more focused and can be finished and shown. Even if we are a nonprofit, we can aim at commercialization.

Hi Ricardo et al,

My review of the video:


Introduction to the Open Source Circular Economy

What is a Linear Economy?

The linear economy is our current economy. It is called linear because it makes a straight line from resource extraction to the land fill. It is also called the “Take, Make & Waste” economy.

  1. T.AKE: We take virgin resources from the planet (show this balloon next to trees)
  2. MAKE We make things out of it (show this balloon next to machine with saw blades), generating pollution in the meantime.
    New Stage Required: You need a final stage showing manufactured products to retail and consumers buying the product and using it.
  3. In this slide, you can then say: WASTE: Consumers throw things away after use creating mountains of land fill and oceans of plastic

The linear economy produces waste in two ways:

  1. manufacturing waste
  2. end product consumer usage and end of life waste

It is unsustainable because it has and continues to produce two serious problems

  1. resource shortages
  2. dangerous levels of waste and pollution

What is a Circular Economy?

It is an economy which seeks to eliminate the term “waste”, by complete recovery of the precious materials used in manufacturing at the end of the product life. Instead of going into a landfill, it biodegrades or returns as feedstock back to the manufacturing process.

Material therefore flows in a circle, instead of a straight line to landfill or difficult to clean pollution in the air or water. Energy used is also renewable, not polluting fossil fuel

by recirculating material, and using renewable energy, a circular economy solves the two problems created by the linear economy:

  1. it minimizes virgin resource extraction
  2. it reduces significantly or eliminates completely waste and pollution

Furthermore, there are two types of circular economies:

What is a Closed Source Circular Economy?

When knowledge is held in patents and trade secrets, it is closed source. This lack of sharing fosters competition and economic inequality. The current economy is a closed source economy. A Closed Source Circular Economy may solve ecological problems, but maintains economic inequality while doing so.

What is an Open Source Circular Economy?

When knowledge is shared freely, this fosters collaboration and reduces inequality by allowing everyone the ability to manufacture for themselves without incurring prohibitively high license fee. This improves the quality of design as well, as more minds are contributing to solve any one problem.