2016 OSCEdays Event Website is in development

Hey @Lars2i,

I have taken a look at our current copy to improve it. Made an audit of other website with similar missions as ours (POC21, Ellen Macarthur, Circle-economy, Open Source Ecology…) and have tried to distill their essence to make ours much clearer and compelling.

So I have revised the headline and overall copy of our site to make it more desirable, succint and memorable :slight_smile:

You can find it here.

Let me know if you have some feedbacks or think it could still be improved.

If you and the others find it makes sense, you can adapt the website when you have some time.

@cameralibre, @unteem, @TechnicalNature, @sharmarval, @Silvia, @Gien, @djcoco

1 Like

this is great Jaime! I have a couple of small changes that I would suggest (eg ‘the new normal’ was very much part of POC21’s communication, so I would rather not use it) but overall I like it. I’ll have some time today to go into more detail.

Hey Sam,

Really glad you like it :smile:
Will think of another spin for “the new normal”.

If you have other suggestions, I’ll take a peak at it and see how we can improve it further.

Hey Jaime,
super cool work! Jeai.
Let have Sam a look at it and then implement it. :checkered_flag:

Ha, nice - just spotted some of our sponsors and partners you put in there. What would we say if Trump came knocking… ;)?

1 Like

Was wondering if someone would notice :slight_smile:

If it was Trump we would only agree if he gave us all his money and decide what to do with it in a participatory budgeting way… : P

Even if we do not have yet a code of conduct, I will refrain from making it explicit where I would tell Trump to put his money, but you can imagine…

We have a list of targeted sponsors, which we believe share our principles, this is one way to keep unwanted sponsors away. If we get an unsolicited offer for sponsorship that we do not like, we’ll just not answer or decline. In fact, we do have to be careful where the money is coming from.

1 Like

Hi,

there is another question/option for the design.

Sam suggested a shadowed structure on the edges. I was not sure about it at first, added it but when I was working with it a while I got tired of it very quickly even started to dislike it and I am convinced the clean version is much better. But what do you think:

NEW VERSION

You can see how it feels on a webpage by visiting the Sandbox.

OLD AND CLEAN VERSION

###arguments
I don’t like about the shadow thing that it triggers (in me) a paperwork/DIY/church window association. Like the OSCEdays are a happy little DIY sunday afternoon group. But that is not that important.

More importantly: It will produce permanent inconsistency in the design! Because when we have shadows here… wouldn’t we need it everywhere? On all the edges on the webpage too? In all illustrations made with the grid - the hurdle for remixing gets higher and the risk that there will be ugly outcomes. And even in the forum? Go to the page at OSCEdays.org and then click on the forum. There is consistency with the feel of colors and shapes. Everything is blank and calm. It is a consistent “CI”, safe and guiding. That will become a bit blurrier.

The Clean Designs modularity is more abstract. It allows a lot more possiblities to think about it and play with it. More “metaphysics”. While the Shadowed Version always comes with “paperwork” or “flat pieces”.

And Michi says: It is pointing to much to the modularity. Overemphasizing it. Didactical.

Sorry to make my case so strong here :rage:. if the majority likes the shadow-version I will of course live with it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just saying.

Look at the new thing several times before you make up your mind

Hi, I got some feedback from someone about the webpage. Sharing it here:

“Looking quickly at the main site and the Berlin site, it was difficult for
me to tell how I could attend or participate in any events, especially not
having a project myself. Also, I was wondering if you have any panels to
help people explore topics together or talks for people to share knowledge.
I know “doing” is incredibly important, too”

OK, so it’s not clear that everybody needs to join the forum, first. We can change the first paragraph under Join Us, for example:

OSCEdays is an open and distributed platform event exploring globally connected the Open Source Circular Economy. We invite you to connect and join us, organize a local event: Add your city.

Not an organizer? Add yourself to our network, engage with us in the Forum.

1 Like

That is very good thinking @Silvia! Your idea is way better than what we have on the page right now. I will look at it a bit deeper and get back soon.

Hi, ok, i collected next to @Silvia s ideas some more feedback from other people and tried to implement it in the website. So it has changed a bit.

Please check and tell me what I have missed. http://oscedays.org
@cameralibre @unteem @Gien @sharmarval @TechnicalNature @Jan_D @Jaime

3 Likes

Looks much better indeed :slight_smile:

Hi I think that

(If you give me access to the code I can submit a suggstion with these changes)

1 Like

Hi @Jan_D - cool. I will send you login-in details for the sandbox. There you can test what you can do first.

btw. you are absolutely right with the needle. Changed it as suggested to test:

Had a good session with @Jan_D tonight. Think we managed to do some improvements.

Update: And I spent some more hours to improve the page. I think now we have finally a good page :slight_smile:

I added 4 sentences - under “Partners” “Challenge Sponsors” & “Mentors” – Could a native speaker please check them and post the correct version if necessary. @TechnicalNature @sharmarval @Silvia @Gien

1 Like

Mentors:

‘Our mentors have expertise in many fields and will be available online to support the
global community.’

Partners

‘A big thank you to our partners.’

Challenge Sponsor

Q: are these the ‘Big Five’ challenges (the open list of questions) we talked about last night? Or are these different?

1 Like

Thanks! – Will do the changes soon.

Nope, this Challenges are the one we try to “sell” to sponsors. It is in one of our sponsorship packages - that you can as a company have a challenge, we help to frame it and advertise it.

Ah, okay…in that case, can we change the text to:

Hot-topic Challenges from Our Sponsors

Or

Headline Challenges from Our Sponsors

Or

Challenges from Our Global Sponsors

Or something like this.

1 Like

##Website Updated May 15

Ok, the call for cities is closed. I redesigned the whole webpage. I think I managed to make it more beautiful, more clear, give it a better structure and menu. And the “Global Challenges” and the “Mentorship Program” is added.

I had to erase the stories from 2015 from the main page. They made the page too heavy. I integrated them into the documentation of 2015 and placed a prominent link to the documentation on the main page.

Feedback and suggestions as always welcome.

2 Likes