[VISUAL LIBRARY] Digital repo of OSCE examples and solutions

I’ve been thinking for some time that the lack of visual/visible outputs (also highlighted by iFIXIT) is a general issue for our communications. It would be excellent to be able to see OSCE case studies visually represented in one place.

It would be better to have this separate from the forum, in a much more visual, engaging and accessible format (could even be as simple as an instagram or Tumblr account).

This slightly feeds into the documentation category. The documentation is great, but all the documentation happens on a city-by-city level that isn’t very usable for us on a meta-level afterwards.

I think the visual aspect is kind of critical to the success of this.If we can point people to a visual library of solutions, this can be a really useful communication tool.

I would be happy to work on this as a challenge during the London event…

Just saw this which is something similar to what I am thinking: https://fabtextiles.org/

It’s possible that this is something that we could collaborate with the design cases people on too. I’m speaking to them tomorrow.

What do people think?

@Jaime @Ina @Chris @Lars2i @cameralibre @TechnicalNature @unteem @Silvia @Gien

1 Like

Sounds good. I am happy to feed in ideas.

I am a bit concerned of having this examples - how to communicate them. If “my project” makes the list, do i “win” and the others “lost”. So we have to be careful.

How about this: It could be a section on the mainpage - just 4 x 4 or 4 x 3 squares (like the faces or logos). And each square represents one of the channel categories. We could fill the place with different projects.

Area on Website is called:

##“The Channels”
& examples of last year

And then we have for example a square

"Business Models

For example the OS platform discussion and outline"

Just a first idea of many possible others.

I answers to the questions of

• Where to draw the line - how many projects should be in the list - 10, 50, 100 . . . (just one for each channel. But the projects can change. And old projects that were on the list are listed somewhere)
  • Reacts to limited resources - creating and maintaining a visual library with many spots can be a lot of work. And so it is just a limited exhibition showing just a few examples. We can change the projects whenever there is time. And if the list is made right, it can produce the feeling, ok - this is just one example from this category … there are probably more … Let’s click on it … and this is actually the first step to really engage with the environment of self-organization.
1 Like

Hey Lars, great, good points.

It’s really not about choosing solutions or having a competition, but rather about demonstrating impact. If we can’t show what the outcomes of our work are in a more meaningful way, then I think we will consistently struggle to engage sponsors and funders.

1 Like

If you haven’t already seen it EMF have reformatted their cases here:

1 Like

Think perhaps this is something we could look at / build into documentation for 2016 - a bit similar to the outline we had on the Etherpad, but maybe even more simple that we can get a higher level overview of the projects and also visual- ultimately it will all be there on the platform but just needs to be simpler for an initial taster for people to then be able to search and delve into the projects/ topics in more detail

Update. As an outcome of a very related discussion we added 11 “Stories” to the main page on March 24. It is a start for a Visual Library

Discussion:

1 Like