School of initiatives

Hello!
We have a small team in the school and we started our learning by making activities in the school and in the city. We want to have a small event in the school during DIF and OSCE days collaboration for the Festival. I can’t say how big our event will be. But we want to involve students and let them know about circular economy and sustainable development. Because they are the leaders of tomorrow.

Now we keep thinking about the format of the event. I think it can have two parts - one is informational with introduction and explaining what is ce, examples of real projects and speeches from invited speakers. And a “practical” part for team discussion.

For the moment I have just three speakers in mind (one is from a school where they organized composting, maybe, it is more about blue economy, one speaker on-line from an american college where they realize initiatives related to ce and have a program for the students and a speaker from a local environmental agency to tell about his experience in checking enterprises and burning electronic appliances for precious metals (this is more about why ce approaches are important).

I am not sure that it would be a unique contribution for the open sourcing. It depends on who will take participation in it. i’m trying to find more speakers in China and those that can join us for online talks.
You know, it is a small town and not a lot of speakers are able to come to a school. We would like to have something kind of solving tasks and cases for the practical part. As example, I saw in ACTIONS a task to find an alternative packaging materials for a known thing. I’m still thinking on the tasks that may be interesting and can help to come up with new ideas for the city or the school.

Maybe do you have any thoughts about it ?

Best regards,
Stasia

Dear Stasia,
I think for your school it is more important to engage in using an open source instruction to do something, getting speakers is not essential as long as you understand the CE concept yourself. It is far more engaging and instructive to be active.
The interesting part for our community is to find out how your community reacts to an ACTION or Challenge that was developed somwhere else. We ofter think we can design universally until we try to convey it to a different culture and in a different setting.

1 Like

Dear Maike,
thank you for your feedback. Yes, this time we may make practical part bigger than informational one. Now I also see, we may focus more on what we can do within the event rather than finding speakers that can share their experience and examples.
thank you!

1 Like

Hi Stasia,

Why not just watch some streams or recordings from the DIF program. They have good speakers and almost everyday someone is on. https://www.thinkdif.co/schedule

Watching talks – there is not much to open source. The DIF talks are online anyway. And if you get your own speakers you can think about streaming their talks too. And we will include it in the official OSCEdays program. Here is a Tutorial for that (I just made a video this morning) HOWTO °OSCEdays TV° – Set Up A Video Stream

And for activities during the event. Let’s see, if there will be more ACTIONS occurring during DIF. But you can also try to mirror some of the challenges we had earlier in the network.

Or how about creating a Chinese document about OSCEdays? A useful resource.

Or I like the idea, that you take a product or two from your local supermarket and try to track it down. Where does it come from. Who was involved. Were there circular practices? What do we know and what do we not know. Start from an object and ask questions and try to find answers. Share the questions, pictures of the object, and what you found and could not find and why…

1 Like