OSCEdays' 2nd – DOCU-DAYS - April 8 - 9, 2017

I have been working on plans for a circular economy ‘wiki’ and case study database for a few years, and wondered if OSCEDays members might be interested in supporting this. Whilst researching my A Circular Economy Handbook for Business and Supply Chains Uploading… https://www.koganpage.com/product/supply-chains-for-a-circular-economy-9780749476755, I created a database to collect good examples, and now have over 400 different ‘stories’ covering different industry sectors and stages of the supply chain from across the world (and lots more waiting in my email inbox!).

Many of these are start-ups and SMEs, which I think is very exciting, proving that (a) it’s viable and (b) you don’t need a big R&D budget. I have discussed the idea with a few organisations, everyone thinks it’s a good idea but no one wanted to ‘own’ it, so I either need to find a suitable backer or try to make it ‘crowd-sourced’.

I don’t want to ‘own’ it, but would like to help develop it, and have my name associated with it. I have invested a lot of time in the research, in thinking about it, and creating a workable database structure so it is easily searchable with (I think) sensible categories to organise the different aspects of ‘circularity’.

The issue with the existing sites (including Circulate, EMF, Circular Economy Club, consultant sites etc) is that they are not easily searchable, and focus on big corporate stories. My vision is for something that helps answer the question “what can I do with xxxx waste” or “what examples are there in YY sector, for this kind of product, etc”. A kind of global ‘one stop shop’ for the circular economy. It could have links to case studies etc on other websites, but crucially contain all the key data in one place to make it easier to search. It could also be linked to the detail design documentation from these ‘Docu-Days’

A critical point for me is that it should be open-sourced, to ensure credibility, transparency and trust. There may need to be a small user fee to fund the platform and verification/maintenance (though ideally it would be funded through grants, corporate supporters etc), but users should be able to load their own data, and comment/flag up any issues with their own or other companies data. I’ve got further ideas on those aspects.

I have experience in building a comprehensive knowledge share platform in my role at DHL Supply Chain for our sales and operations teams, with a detailed ‘services’ database.

What do you think…???

1 Like

@cjweetman Hi, that sounds really good.

Maybe we can brainstorm about your project and how you could go about it at the ‘docu days?’ Do you have time to join a video call or text chat this weekend? I would love to brainstorm it and learn more about what you already have.

Myself and @huelfe have written an application to get a grant to make this happen - the IPO tables project is about a simple search engine and documentation format for circular economy solutions. If we are lucky and can work on it maybe some synergies can be found. Would be fantastic.

Hi Lars and @huelfe

Thanks for your message, yes it would be great to chat and explore it further. I am pretty flexible this weekend (haven’t looked to see what else is scheduled for DocuDays).

Catherine

Cool. The Agenda - links to text chat and times for video meetings will be posted in the coming days. I’ll ping you so you’ll get a notification.

Looking forward to meet you and hear more about your ideas.

Update Links are posted now; ping @cjweetman

We developed a circular and modular toy kit for children. I am working on a documentation of it right now. Image is a teaser.

It is made of

• nuts and bolts
  • wire
  • beads from wood and glass
  • you are allowed to cut all kinds of paper to combine it with the rest.

Update Some more pictures uploaded. Website will follow.

1 Like

We’re going to surf the web today for cool information, documentation and instructions on

• rocket/hobo and wood gas stoves
  • water colelction, water purifiers, water treatment systems
  • micro-methanization
  • aqua- and pee-ponics
  • plant boxes
  • bee hives
  • composting, terra preta, fly composting and worm composting
  • food fermentation
  • beer brewing
  • juice making

We will document our finds here: Connecting modules for a circular food-sanitation-agriculture-system

Please look in, comment and add whatever you know about these technologies

@Lars2i when and where do we start the chat?

1 Like

chat is open. https://riot.im/app/#/room/#oscedays1stdj:matrix.org

In two hours is a video meeting for those interested. See you there maybe.

Hi @goal12 @transitionmica + Belindas colleague. It was so nice chatting for you - for 90 min! I learned a lot. Next time we do the recording at the end of the wrap up session. So many interesting ideas and information could have been part of the recording. Next time :slight_smile:

Anyway. Here is the video.

And thanks for the great hints how to improve OHO. (Come up with something to make the figures stand by themselves)

1 Like

And the documentation of the workshop is also finished. http://mifactori.de/oho-doppelgaengerwelt-workshop/

@Lars2i @transitionmica Here is the start to the Food Systems Lab documentation project. By the next DOCU-DAYS, there will be more!

1 Like

Hi @goal12 This looks really good! Do you mind if we transfer it to the “Food” Category? There it is probably easier to find for circular food enthusiasts. You can link to it from the Toronto category.

Yes, that is a good idea. Please move it over, thanks!

Hi, I’ve been working on similar - slightly more focused on social/community organisations. There may be potential for combining and enhancing? May be worth a Skype call?

I’ve added you to our new skype chat group on edible cities

@Lars2i @huelfe I didn’t get ‘pinged’ with anything specific for the weekend chats, and had some family health issues too so wasn’t online much, sorry.

Maybe I should post this as a general new topic, and see who is keen? I need to connect with someone who knows about databases we could use (ideally open-sourced!), and work out how we fund the hosting and validation of case studies.

1 Like

@cjweetman Yes, feel free to post a little description - make it a call for help. So we can help sharing it. There will be a next docu-days. Would love to chat with you about it. Sign up to our newsletter to get a notification with the announcement of the next docu days to your inbox. (newsletter signup is on the website)

Hello Lars
I met Erica on Monday evening - she came to a talk on CE I was giving for the Institute of Logistics in UK. We chatted afterwards (we had spoken about )my database idea over a year ago), and that spurred me into messaging you again. I am also chatting to Anna at Circular Economy Club tomorrow.

I didn’t get the pings for the Open Source calls, and my aunt has just been diagnosed with cancer so a few other things to deal with at the moment… but I’d still like to explore your thoughts on the database. I am nervous about giving too much away in this open source forum though (who knows who is reading the posts)! I’d like to understand whether you/the board think it is do-able and fits in with OSCE aims.

I’ve had a quick look at the IPO project, and think there are some synergies - but this is more aimed at initially sparking ideas by helping people understand who else is already doing something similar - a kind of ‘wiki’ but structured so it is more searchable. I can explain more if if you’d like to chat about it sometime. What’s holding me back is the need for a structured database (ie the software). I think ‘crowdsourcing’ the ‘how to do it’ as well as the wiki inputs would give a more robust and better designed solution too!

Please let me know what you think…
thanks!
Catherine

Hi @cjweetman

sorry to hear about your troubles :frowning:

And on the other things: If you feel uncomfortable with sharing your process and ideas in the open maybe this forum and the OSCEdays is not the right environment for you. Make up your mind.

There is a next opportunity to chat. Probably at the end of May we will have the next Docu-Days. (Sign up to the newsletter and you’ll not miss the announcement). And also during the main event from June 8-12 there will open video calls for everyone to join, share ideas and seek input from others.

Hi @Lars2i

Thanks for your speedy reply… my concerns around sharing too much are not related to the open sourcing of the eventual database. I’m concerned about a commercial organisation reading the idea (in detail) and getting there first!

I have chatted to Anna at CEC this morning, and she is working on a community mapping exercise too (think she’s been speaking to Siego? in OSCE). Sounds like that would be a really good fit.

Having seen the outputs of previous DocuDays calls I’m not sure this fits into that? It’s more about the Wiki design and how to segment the data and categories to structure things, making it easy to find exactly what you are looking for.

I think I’m already signed up to the Newsletter but will check.

best regards
Catherine

1 Like