Is there a Video Tutorial for the Forum?

Hi, I wonder if there is a Video Tutorial helping people to make first steps on the forum?

Hi, I am on it. Will post in a few minutes.

###Updated Comment:
Here is the finished Video

###Example Topic From Video

And here is the Topic from the Video explaining “How Do I Edit Topics On The Forum?”

English transcript for this video:

This is a short tutorial on how to use the community forum of the Open Source Circular Economy Days.
First thing you need to do is to sign up by clicking here on the “sign up”-button on the top right.
You can sign up with Facebook and Twitter and also other options are available.
Facebook is the quickest but all the other options work as well.
00:26
For this video I already created a fresh account, and the first thing I’m going to show you is how to post a comment.
So I find a topic I want to comment on, for example this one, called “is there a video tutorial for the forum?”.
"Hi, I wonder if there is a Video Tutorial helping people to make first steps on the forum?"
And now I click on “reply” here or here, it doesn’t matter where, and a dialogue opens, and I type down: "I’m on it. Will post in a few minutes."
And now I click here on “reply”, and you see: your comment is posted.
01:07
Ok, the next thing I’m going to show you is how you can create your own topic.
So, first of all you need to find a category your topic is supposed to be in and when you are in that category, you click here on the top right on “new topic”.
This will make this dialogue appear, and the first thing you write down is a headline.
"How Do I Edit Topics On The Forum?"
And then you can enter a body text, for example: here are some basic things about editing topics and comments on the OSCEdays community forum.
And now I click here on “create topic”.
This will create your topic.
02:04
I did this now to show you that it is possible to re-open your topic an edit in information and take information out all the time.
This is also true for comments.
I think this takes off some pressure.
And you re-open or edit your comment by just clicking here on the little pen icon under it.
I do this now, and the first thing I do is, I erase this little dot here to show that it’s possible.
and now I’m going to enter a little bit more information like: “For Big Headlines Put An # In Front Of Your Headline”.
So you see here on the right you have a preview field where you see how your topic will look like in the end.
And because I put this little Hash in front of this text this text is much bigger, it is now a large headline, the largest headline available.
“For Smaller Headlines Make It ## Two” Hashes, and you see it’s a smaller headline.
This works down to six of these hashes, so you have six different headline sizes available.
03:30
Ok, I’m going to show you a little bit more.
"It is possible to add bold text and also links by using the edit bar"
so you see here you have a little “edit bar” that gives you a variety of options to design your text, for example if I mark this text and I click on the “bold”-button the result is that I get a bold text, or I mark the links text and then I click on the little chain symbol here and a dialogue opens that allows me to enter a link, for example: oscedays.org.
I click on “ok” and you see it’s automatically transformed into a link.
What else is possible, for example you can click here and, yes, also bulleted lists are possible.
04:30
How to add images? Add images via drag&drop.
you see here on my screen I have a little image, and you just take this image and pull it into your topic and drop it, and it automatically becomes part of the topic. Again: drag the image, pull into your topic, drop it and here it is, once it’s uploaded, part of your topic.
05:02
Ok, save edit. It’s really that simple.
I will add later some more information to this topic, so if you write on the forum and you encounter a specific question, search for this topic here in the “How to use this platform?”-category and you will find an answer to a more rare problem maybe.
05:22
And the last thing I’m going to do in this video is to give you a quick overview about the different areas of the forum, so you can get an idea where to find and where to post what.
So you see the forum has four main areas. The upper part, the green categories, is for content and collaboration on open source circular economy problems and solutions.
So you have categories like: materials, packaging and transport, energy, food, and so on.
The second part is more about meta-information on the platform and community.
You have categories like: event organization with all kinds of useful information on how to set up a local event or community, or you have the “how to use the platform”-category we just used.
06:09
The third part is for local teams.
People from cities can use this space to organize their events and meetings and so on.
The third is about stuff, that is not content but community organization related.
If there is no category for your city yet, use the “new city” category here on top and an admin of the forum will create a category for your city as soon as possible.
06:35
And this down below here is the last part.
This is where the global coordination of the OSCEdays project happens.
You are invited to contribute to the discussions happening here all the time.
06:47
Ok, so much for this short tutorial.
I just want to show you one more thing in the end, it’s after you entered the forum you can click away this little welcome message by clicking on this x and you will get a cleaner view on the screen.
Ok, that’s it. I’m really looking forward to read your comments.

When you compare the transcript to the English subtitles you will easily see the difference between the two types of text. A transcript is usually much too long to read while taking in the visual information of a video at the same time.

#HowTo: Add Subtitles

If you want to add sutitles to this tutorial in you own language, here is an English language template file
captions.sbv (6.8 KB)

Go to the youtube video channel for this specific video tutorial and choose the language of your new subtitles. You can then upload the template file which will automatically insert you the correct time-code and the sentences that you need to translate. Click on each English subtitle to go into writing mode and translate it directly in the window.
When you’re done you can watch the video on the right to make sure that the timing and layout are good and there are no mistakes left.
To publish your subtitles click on the blue “save changes”-button at the top right. You’re asked if you’re done, click “yes” and it will send your subtitles off to be reviewed by other users.

Some information on how to write subtitles:

A good subtitle should

• stay true to the spoken original as much as possible
  • while using a language that is easy to read so it doesn’t disturb watching the pictures simultaneously (no more than one comma, no complicated/ rarely used words)
  • have no more than 35-40 letters per line
  • have no more than two lines shown at a time
  • have no more than four lines (two parts to read) per sentence
  • be shown between 1 -7 seconds with a short gap in between to allow the eyes to adapt and read in good pace
  • be shown at the bottom in a font and colour that doesn’t cover or distract from important information in the picture. If it does cover such information, shorten the display time so the viewer can see what was covered in the gap between subtitles.

Some useful Weblinks for beginners:

1 Like

comment of @Clemens when he used the Wikihow guide:

Die Wikihow Seite ist ziemlich gut, aber man darf kein Leerzeichen nach der Nummer des Untertitels setzen. Das ist im 7. Bild/Schritt auf der Wikihow Seite falsch abgebildet.
Die ursrüngliche .txt Datei habe ich mit dem Windows Editor in eine .srt bzw .sub Datei umgespeichert und dazu musste beim Speichern darauf geachtet werden, dass die Codierung “UTF-8” ist und nicht wie sonst “ANSI”. So konnte die Datei dann hochgeladen werden.

The Wikihow website is quite good, but you have to make sure you don’t have a line space under the number of the subtitle, The 7. picture on the Wikiho shows this incorrectly.
Initially I had saved the document in a .txt format and then had to save it again in a .srt or .sub format using Windows Editor. Doing this you have to save in “UTF-8” and NOT in the usual “ANSI” format. After these changes I was able to upload the document without any problem.

If you want to avoid this step of writing the subtitles in a separate text file you can also use the Youtube-editing tool to create the timecode and text directly. The document can then be exported as .sbv and shared in a comment along with the link to the video channel as we did this here.

The OS-software that would allow us to be independent from proprietary Youtube still needs to be tested. If you have experience with it, please share it.