Can I reuse information shared on the OSCEdays website and in this forum?

Today I received an email from someone who wants to republish the OSCEdays Mission Statement and was asking:

“I am asking OSCE Days for permission to reuse this content and what the appropriate credit/citation process might be if permission is granted.”

I publish the answer here so we can use it again:

##Yes :slight_smile:

you can reuse the content. Because all content on the OSCEdays website and in this forum is shared under the

Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License 4.0

This means:

###You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

for any purpose, even commercially.

We cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

###Under the following terms:

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

##Appropriate Credit

How to give appropriate credit? This depends:

(1) Is there a name next to the text or image you found on our website or in the forum? Then please give the credit to that person. If you create an online publication please add a link to the place where you have found the information (the specific subpage or forum thread!) and to the Creative Commons License CC-BY-SA 4.0.

Example:

OSCEdaysWorldMap-2016, by Sam Muirhead, CC-BY-SA 4.0

(2) If there is no name next to the text, image or whatever then give attribution to “OSCEdays”

Example:

Documentation & Collaboration, by OSCEdays, CC-BY-SA 4.0

In print publications or video for example it can be sometimes difficult to share full links. We understand that and don’t expect you to share links there. Although we are happy, if you do :slight_smile:

Just for the Ask Me Anything thread, I think that we should change the license to CC-BY, as they are unlikely to be writing in publications which ShareAlike, and this requirement might make them think they can’t quote us.
I propose adding this text to the Ask Us Anything introduction:

Normally content on the OSCEdays website is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA) license [link to this ‘can I reuse info’ thread], but to make it easier for journalists to use this material, responses in the Ask Us Anything thread are licensed under the more permissive Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license.
That means that you can use this material however you like, all you need to do is to mention somewhere in your article that your quotes came from here, and please provide a link to this thread if you can!

1 Like

Jepp, great. Do it.

Although I am not really sure if it would be really a problem - because I am still not super sure about the CC-License. Maybe you know.

As far as I understood: When I publish a book with different texts from different authors and I put a CC-BY-SA text in it, I have to make sure everyone knows that this text is under CC-BY-SA but I don’t have to put the whole book and all the text of other authors under the same license.

But If I edit the text much and mix it with other text and create for example a speach for a politician … then I have to put the whole new work under CC-BY-SA as well.

So If they leave the answers intact…

But I think, it is a grey area. And in doubt a judge would have to decide. So it is good to make it simple and change the license for the Press part to CC-BY.

Yeah, I agree completely, both with ‘it’s legal anyway’ and with ‘but let’s make it really clear with the CC-BY license’

1 Like