A New Name Or A New Acronym?

I have seen the movie “The Founder” lately:

it is a movie about the McDonalds “Founder” Ray Kroc. And the main point of the movie is that “McDonalds” is just a fantastic name. Everyone can understand that a great name is key.

“OSCEdays” was always a problem. it is hard to remember, hard to pronounce and not fun to pronounce either.

We had several discussions about changing the name - they must be somewhere on this forum. The problem was always: that this would spoil our mission. If it is just “Open Circularity” or whatever … “Open” means nothing. We need the clear definition of “Open Source” to support what we are all about.

I still think this is true.

###BUT

We can change the acronym! “OSCEdays” is not necessarily the correct one for “Open Source Circular Economy Days”.

For example:

###Open E Days!

or

###Open i Days

or

?

Just a thought.

###Open E Days
The Open Source Circular Economy Days …

The economy should become circular anyways. So it is not so much about the CE but the E. …

@BoST

2 Likes

I have always thought that our name was a big inhibitor of our progress. I would vote to change it.

1 Like

Let’s discuss it further. I have a request, though, please remove the wiki reference to the movie, I do not want us or, at least, myself to be associated with the Weinstein Co and McDonald’s in any way.

We might want another name, but for other reasons.

1 Like

I agree, the name is key, but so far I haven’t come up with anything that makes our mission as clear as the current one. In my experience explaining what it means has also always been a good way to introduce the idea. However, if we do want to change it, the sooner the better. The OSCE should remain part of the new name somehow, like the subtitle line @Lars suggested.I’ve been going around with it for such a long time now, telling so many people, that we have to make sure they would still find us.

@Qing and I talked about this today and came up with an idea for this year’s OSCEdays: let’s do a language workshop, getting any interested person to join us in a word-inventing-hackathon to find new terms and names for things and activities that don’t have an easy way of describing them yet. Like OSCE, writing OS documentation, designing CE products… instead of using whole sentences and texts to explain what we mean we simply co-create new words that will by the power of our shared agreement mean all of the information we now struggle so hard to convey. And then we can release those words into the world and see if they become adopted. Thats how all these words appeared in our language: C2C, P2P, shareconomy, sustainable, sufficiency, resilience…

3 Likes