Switch places of "Cities" and "Resources"

Hi, i was away from the platform for some days. Had a new perspective on it. It still is not super clear. I think we should move up the CITIES category one spot. CITIES is the most important category. So i think a better order would be:
CHALLENGES
GENERAL DISCUSSION
CITIES
RESOURCES
GLOBAL ORGA

If you agree, could you make the changes? Thank you. Lars

@cameralibre @unteem

I agree with this. if Tim does too, Iā€™ll change it today.

Could maybe on this front move the Cities even further up to below Challengesā€¦and then the rest

1 Like

I really like that idea of @TechnicalNature!! - And while we are on the way: Why not move the Cities category up to the top?

Cities
Challenges
Discussion
Resources
Orga

I think, jeap, could be great :sunny:

Hey,
and if you think about it and explore it further - the put the ā€œCitiesā€ Category on top. We could go even further!

Then we could delete the ā€œChallengesā€ category completely.

Instead, we open up a sub-category in the ā€œGeneral Discussionsā€ category much like the ā€œCall for Skillsā€ category and name this new sub category ā€œCollaborating on Challengesā€!

In this ā€œCollaborating on Challengesā€ sub category we post the ā€œHow to Post A Challengeā€ and pin it! So it will still be prominently shown on the front page of the platform.

(We might also add a drop-down menue under ā€œChallengesā€ and put the ā€œHow To Post A Challengeā€ and the ā€œTypes of Challengesā€ link there.)

I think, this is really a good way to make everything easier and to solve that problem, that the ā€œChallengesā€ category is still a bit unclear. But as a sub category in ā€œGeneral Discussionā€ called ā€œcollaborating on challengesā€ it makes total sense.

What do you think?

Iā€™m ok with that idea, I was never that convinced of the Challenge categoryā€™s importance, as if itā€™s not a place for challenges, itā€™s really a meta-category. I would be happy to see it moved to a subcategory of general discussion.

For now I have moved Cities to the top, as there seems to be pretty broad agreement, but Iā€™ll wait to see if there are other thoughts on the Challenge Category before I change it.

Agree Challenge category does seems a bit defunct for now and could confuse. I donā€™t know if there is any way to make the tabs at the top stand out, draw attention to them more to ensure that people are quickly and easily able to see the full extent of challenges?

Also if Iā€™m not in a city and wanted to post a challenge would it be clear (if this happens). We can do some UX flow maps/ Scenarios.

Can perhaps leave it as is for now - perhaps we can use Friday to get some face 2 face user feedback/ first impressions (weā€™re probably all too deep in it now).

jeap, good thinking. Where to post my challenge if i am not in a city. I tried to solve it a bit by editing the description of the Cities category.

ā€œPost Challenges in your city category & discuss and develop events and projects from your city. If you city has not category use the ā€œOtherā€ category.ā€

This could fix part of the problem. @cameralibre is it possible to make the ā€œOtherā€ category the first one in the line? So it would be easier to find.

Or is it possible to make the cities appear alphabetically?

@cameralibre - there are 3 new cities, if you find the time, could you arrange them alphabetically again - or just give me a hind here where i can do this in the admin options.

Cool, I just rearranged them - for future reference, the only way to order the different categories is by assigning each one a position number - you do so by clicking on the Category and then editing ā€˜Edit>Settings>Positionā€™.

But itā€™s a bit of an ugly hack at the moment - I set it up as Other:0 ; Athens:5; Augsburg:10 etc, so that I would have some space to put in a few more cities - these positions donā€™t seem to always stick though - I had to do a bit of trial and error to get Indianapolis in the right spot!

Ah Sam, super cool. Just did it and found out, there is an easier way. You donā€™t have to move the whole row by hand step by step. Discourse does it automatically.

In my case Rennes was 41 and i needed to move Perth infront of it. So i just made 41 the number of Perth and discourse gave Rennes automatically number 42 and all the others behind Rennes also one number higher. This is good because it is easy :slight_smile:

1 Like