Challenge Documentation Template

For anybody who doesn’t know yet, Pierre has set up etherpad for us at https://pad.oscedays.org
woohoo! thanks @pierreozoux! :+1:

At the Berlin meeting yesterday we decided on a real-time, etherpad-based documentation strategy for Berlin. I will create a tutorial showing team leaders / documentation people in other cities how they can adapt our framework for their own local challenges.

NOTE: There are two types of documentation for this event - one is more communication/documentation - the storytelling aspect. This is photos, videos, blogposts, social media etc. This is to inform, entertain and ‘spread the word’ - it is more of a one-way medium, mostly designed to be ‘consumed’. I’m preparing a separate plan for this, I’ll post an update soon.
But what I’m talking about here is open source documentation - we’re trying to create the ‘source code’ or recipe for our challenges, to allow others to understand them, collaborate on them, replicate them, and to enable the projects to live on longer than this weekend.

For Berlin at least, I will set up an etherpad for each challenge using the naming structure

pad.oscedays.org/p/BERLIN_NAME-OF-CHALLENGE

(using the name of the challenge as stated in the forum)
I will also create a folder for each challenge within the ownCloud, in

TeamBerlin>Challenge Documentation>NAME-OF-CHALLENGE

Links between the cloud folder, etherpad and forum will be prominently displayed at the top of the page or folder so that the user knows where to find, post and upload information related to their challenge.

Here’s my first draft, it’s a wiki, feel free to edit and improve (ping @matthias @Lars2i @eliana @Timm @unteem )
When people first go to the etherpad for their challenge, they will see this text:
(you can see it in etherpad here)

NAME-OF-CHALLENGE
[LINK TO CHALLENGE IN THE FORUM]
[UPLOAD DOCUMENTS, FILES AND PHOTOS TO THE CHALLENGE FOLDER]
Unless otherwise noted, all content in this document is under copyright to the people listed under ‘Participants’ and published under the open source Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.

By filling in this documentation template, you make it easier for other people to understand your challenge, collaborate with you, and learn from your discoveries, your successes and failures. For your challenge to live on after OSCEdays 2015, you need to record what happens!

AIM / IDEA:
What is the aim of this challenge? What do you want to achieve / produce?

TEAM:
Who is taking part in the challenge?

PHOTOS:
Do you have a smartphone or camera? Please take photos at various stages of your challenge’s development – we want to see WHAT steps you took, HOW the project works and WHO was working on the project. Of course you can take photos of the finished result, but we also want to see the process, the experiments and the mistakes along the way! Please upload your photos to your challenge folder. [LINK]

TECHNOLOGIES, PARTS AND TOOLS:
What parts or resources would somebody need to replicate your work? Tools, parts, a computer, software, electricity…

STEPS REQUIRED:
How can somebody replicate your work? What processes/steps/activites are involved?
This is like a recipe: 1.2.3.4.5…

WHAT DIDN’T WORK?
What processes, ideas and attempts did not work so well? What mistakes did you make, what ideas did you have to abandon?

WHAT WORKED?
What solutions and ideas do you feel happy with? What developments seem most positive? What do you want to work on further?

OPTIONAL other categories for documentation (we would love to see this documented as well!)
[BACKGROUND – what is the context of this challenge, its target group and participants?]
[COLLABORATION – what other people & teams have you worked with, or would you like to work with on this challenge?]
[TARGET GROUPS – who is this challenge for? Whose problem does it attempt to solve? Who will be the ‘user’ of this solution?]
[MEASUREABLE OBJECTIVES – what do you want to achieve with this project?]
[SUCCESS CRITERIA – what would you see as evidence of the ‘success’ of this project – in the short-term (months), and in the long-term (years)?]
[RESOURCES – what social, financial, material or other resources do you need / do you have available for this project?]
[RELATED PROJECTS – what other projects are similar to yours, or linked / required for / dependent on yours?]

1 Like

@cameralibre I can’t edit, can you make that post a wiki?
Or shall we just edit the PAD?

Timm

edit: Ive made some tuning, hope its fine now :wink:

Sorry, I must have forgotten to make it a wiki! It is editable now.

Hi @cameralibre!
Thanks for the challenge documentation template! Very useful :smile:
My question is about if it would be rather interesting to upload also the final challenge documentation as a Replay in each challenge topic in the forum… we were thinking on doing it in that way…

@Makea Yes, I think it’s a good idea to have the information in the forum afterwards as well.
The idea to use the etherpad during the event is so that anyone can just jump in and work on it, without having to sign in, and they can edit simultaneously.
It’s a little messier than the forum but it allows people to just write down whatever they need to, without worrying too much about formatting etc.

I assume that most people in Barcelona and Bogotá won’t want to document their projects in English (and Catalan is probably a little too niche for international documentation) so I’ve done a very rough Spanish translation, but these days I’m pretty rusty with the language, and I can’t remember when or how to use el maldito subjuntivo anymore.
Can you (or @RicardoR, or @eliana ) please fix my rubbish Spanish?

https://pad.oscedays.org/p/plantilla-documentacion

(oh, I also just realised that it would have made more sense to use ustedes/vosotros rather than ‘tu’ but I guess it’s different in Bogotá and Barcelona, and I don’t know how to use vosotros anyway! :slight_smile: )

:thumbsup: but i can’t access to the document

Try now? I think it was the ó in the link, now it should go to the much prettier ‘documentaci%B3%C3n’ instead.

NO.

weird - can you test it with https://pad.oscedays.org/p/plantilla-documentacion ?

also, if anyone else sees this can they test it as well? just to check if the problem lies with the browser, operating system, the link or something else. It works fine for me on both firefox and chromium.

i tried again, but nothing with safari, crome and firefox

that’s very strange. I don’t know what’s causing it. can you access https://pad.oscedays.org and make new pads?
here’s the text on a different pad.

and here it is as a comment (this post is a wiki, you can edit it):

NOMBRE DEL RETO
Foro: [ENLACE AL FORO]
Cloud-Upload: [ENLACE - subir documentos, archivos y fotos a la carpeta del reto]
Rellenar esta plantilla, significa ayudar a otros, a ayudar a ti. Otros pueden entienden tu reto, colaborar contigo, y aprende de tus descubrimientos, éxitos y fracasos.
Lo que necesitas, a fin de que tu reto viva después de OSCEdays 2015, es grabar lo que sucede!

OBJETIVO / IDEA:¿Cuál es el objetivo de este reto? ¿Qué quieres lograr / producir?

EQUIPO:¿Quién participa en el reto?

FOTOS:¿Tiene un smartphone o una cámara?Por favor sacas fotos en diferentes etapas de desarrollo de tu reto - queremos ver:
QUÉ pasos siguió,
CÓMO funciona el proyecto y
QUIÉN estaba trabajando en el proyecto.
Por supuesto, puedes sacar fotos del resultado final, pero también queremos ver el proceso - los experimentos, errores y sorpresas en el camino!Por favor, subes tus fotos a la carpeta del reto. [Short-LINK]

TECNOLOGÍAS, PIEZASpiezas y herramientas:
¿Qué partes o recursos se necesita para replicar tu trabajo?
(Herramientas, piezas, una computadora, software, electricidad …)

PASOS NECESARIOS:
¿Cómo se puede replicar su trabajo? ¿Qué procesos / pasos / actividades hay?
Esto es como una receta:

Qué no funcionó?
¿Qué procesos, ideas y intentos no funcionaron tan bien? ¿Qué errores hiciste, qué ideas tuviste que abandonar?

¿Qué funcionó bien?
¿Con cuál soluciones e ideas te sientas feliz? ¿cuál desarrollos te parecen más positivos? ¿en qué quieres trabajar más?

OPCIONAL otras categorías para la documentación (nos encantaría ver esto también!)
[ANTECEDENTES - ¿cuál es el contexto de esta lucha, su grupo objetivo y los participantes?]
[COLABORACIÓN - hay otras personas o equipos que ya trabajan, o le gustaría trabajar en este reto?]
[DESTINATARIOS - ¿para quién es este reto? ¿Cuyo problema quieres resolver? ¿Quién será el “usuario” de esta solución?]
[OBJETIVOS MEDIBLES - ¿que deseas lograr con este proyecto?]
[CRITERIOS DEL ÉXITO - ¿qué verías como prueba del “éxito” de este proyecto - a corto plazo (meses), y a largo plazo (años)?]
[RECURSOS - ¿Cuál recursos (social, financial, material u otros) necesitas / tienes disponible para este proyecto?]
[RELACIONADOS PROYECTOS - ¿hay otros proyectos similares al tuyo, o vinculados / requerida para / depende del tuyo?]
Por favor, añadas más, si tienes el tiempo.

I cant access to the pads. but i take a look to the text.

here are the changes

NOMBRE DEL RETO
Foro: [ENLACE AL FORO]
Cloud-Upload: [ENLACE - subir documentos, archivos y fotos a la carpeta del reto]

Completar esta plantilla, significaria ayudar a otros, a ayudarte a ti. Otros pueden comprender tu reto, colaborar contigo, y aprende de tus descubrimientos, éxitos y fracasos.
Lo que necesitas, a fin de que tu reto pueda vivir después de OSCEdays 2015, es grabar lo que sucede!
OBJETIVO / IDEA:¿Cuál es el objetivo de este reto? ¿Qué quieres lograr / producir?
EQUIPO:¿Quién participa en el reto?
FOTOS:¿Tiene un smartphone o una cámara? Por favor sacas fotos en diferentes etapas de desarrollo de tu reto - Queremos ver:
QUÉ pasos siguió,
CÓMO funciona el proyecto y
QUIÉN estaba trabajando en el proyecto.
Por supuesto, puedes sacar fotos del resultado final, pero también queremos ver el proceso - los experimentos, errores y sorpresas que surgen en el camino! Por favor, sube tus fotos a la carpeta del reto. [Short-LINK]

TECNOLOGÍAS, PIEZAS piezas y herramientas:
¿Qué partes o recursos se necesita para replicar tu trabajo?
(Herramientas, piezas, una computadora, software, electricidad …)
PASOS NECESARIOS:
¿Cómo se puede replicar su trabajo? ¿Qué procesos / pasos / actividades hay?
Esto es como una receta:

Qué no funcionó?
¿Qué procesos, ideas y intentos no funcionaron tan bien? ¿Qué errores se cometieron, qué ideas tuviste que abandonar?
¿Qué funcionó bien?
¿Con cuáles soluciones e ideas te sientes feliz? ¿cuáles desarrollos te parecen más positivos? ¿en qué quieres trabajar más?

OPCIONAL otras categorías para la documentación (nos encantaría ver esto también!)
[ANTECEDENTES - ¿cuál es el contexto de este trabajo, grupo objetivo y participantes?]
[COLABORACIÓN - hay otras personas o equipos que ya trabajan, o le gustaría trabajar en este reto?]
[DESTINATARIOS - ¿para quién es este reto? ¿que problema quieres resolver? ¿Quién será el “usuario” de esta solución?]
[OBJETIVOS MEDIBLES - ¿que deseas lograr con este proyecto?]
[CRITERIOS DEL ÉXITO - ¿qué serviria como prueba del “éxito” de este proyecto - a corto plazo (meses), y a largo plazo (años)?]
[RECURSOS - ¿Cuál recursos (social, financiero, material u otro) necesitas / tienes disponible para este proyecto?]
[RELACIONADOS PROYECTOS - ¿hay otros proyectos similares al tuyo, o vinculados / requeridos para / dependen del tuyo?]

@cameralibre Sam !!! I didn’t receive this pin… Anyway! Since Ricardo and other colleagues from Bogotá can not open the pad I will modify directly into it tomorrow morning. ok! :smile:

@pierreozoux Ricardo can’t access https://pad.oscedays.org (see above) - do you have any idea what might be causing this issue?

@unteem @Openizer @Obin_Guiako @sename @Xavier_C @Justine
I don’t speak french (well, only swearing :smiley: ) but we will get more people doing documentation if we have a french-language documentation template, right?

I have google translated it here, if you have time to tidy up the robot-french, that would be great!
https://pad.oscedays.org/p/documentation_francais

I’m checking it, get it done for tonight :slight_smile:

Done :slight_smile:

Can you please check that my modification have been correctly saved?

1 Like

yes, fantastic, merci beaucoup!

Hi, here I fixed little things. https://pad.oscedays.org/p/plantilla-documentacion

1 Like

:ok_hand: muchas gracias!