During the OSCEdays2015 we had challenges on recycling shower water (showerloop.me), on Terra Preta from Diapers (Dycle.org) and on nutrient recycling toilets.
These were at different stages of prototyping circular nutrient recycling sanitation solutions (that is open source prototypes for various user groups and situations with different needs and design necessities, plus a system for closing the nutrient cycle logistically):
- While Showerloop is already a fully Open Source working cricular solution within itself, it is not yet circularized and interlinked with other cycles in the production of its parts and the use of the waste water.
- Dycle is still in the phase of prototyping in Berlin, but first test runs are already done and a crowdfunding is underway to raise the money for the next stage
- For nutrient recycling toilets we found that there are lots of solutions on the net, some of them even Open Source, but there are also a lot of open questions on how to truely close the cycles. With the project cycleoo we did practical protoyping in Berlin to build a transportable version for educational purposes.
For 2016 we want to go global and create a community around these issues:
- which are the needs and design challenges of different parts of your local society? what are people used to (diaper/ shower/ toilet models)? which social challenges are related to this topic (poverty, pathogens, lack of health education, prejudice/ superstitions, gender issues? ...)?
- which solutions have already been used/ tested in your area? (these can also be solutions of pre-modern times) which up-/ down-sides do they have? what are their possibilities and limitations?
- which materials are available locally that can be used to build your sanitation prototypes? (which properties o they have? are they hygienic? can they be circularized? are they recyclable?)
- how can the logistics of such circular sanitation work in your area to transport the nutrients back to where they are needed in agriculture?
To join the Circular Sanitation Challenge, please leave a message here and then go to the pad: https://pad.oscedays.org/p/circular-sanitation-2016
To join the Cyceloo Iteration Workshop in Berlin on the 9. June 2016 (during the pre-event set-up), find more information here: http://community.oscedays.org/t/workshop-cyceloo-iteration/5012
In the aftermath of the Berlin OSCEdays 2016 we decided to realize a Hack-a-Dixie happening at the Emergent Berlin Fest in September. To join go to http://community.oscedays.org/t/workshop-hack-a-dixie-happening and leave a comment there.