[ACTION in Development] – Write A Food Policy Paper (For Berlin)

@transitionmica This is amazing work you all are doing.

I’m a researcher living between Dublin and Berlin - and I would love to help in someway. I work on a project about food sharing (www.sharecity.ie) and am very passionate about the concept of an edible city and the commons. Would love to be involved. Skills I can offer - policy research, writing/translation, surveys, participatory mapping, interviews, facilitating focus groups, whatever makes sense.

1 Like

Hi Oona, this is fantastic news! First thing you can do to help is to go through this pile of still fairly unsorted information, give us your feedback and consider how we can improve describing the process in a step-by-step ACTION Protocol that we started above. This would be great as the ones who are inside a process are often quite unable to destill what they’re doing into a format that outsiders can follow. This is why I simply started by documenting all we 're doing here in Berlin, hoping for others to help us turn this into a guide.
If you have any best practice examples and related texts and links to share for our collection, that would also be very welcome. This way we want to help people who may have no prior knowledge get started without having to do all the research all over again.
Best, Maike

Got this invitation for a related event that Clemens and I will attend. This series is really interesting for our purposes and has good connections into research and agricultural science (e.g. effects of climate change on urban gardens, effect of changed weather patterns on soils… ) :

Sehr geehrte Gärtnerinnen und Gärtner, Garten- und Bildungsexperten, Wissenschaftlerinnen und Angehörige der Berliner Stadtverwaltung, liebe Interessierte,

hiermit laden wir Sie und Euch herzlich ein zum achten und vorerst letzten Forum Stadtgärtnern (zumindest im Rahmen des Projektes „Urbane Klimagärten: Bildungsinitiative in der Modellregion Berlin“).
Diesmal geht es um „Berlin im (Klima)Wandel - Die Bedeutung von Kleingärten und Gemeinschaftsgärten“.
Das Bildungs- und Vernetzungsforum findet am 2. Dezember 2016 in der Humboldt Graduate School in der Luisenstraße 56 in Berlin-Mitte statt. Die Einladung, das Programm und die Wegbeschreibung finden Sie im Anhang.

Direkt im Vorfeld wird es einen kleinen Workshop zu „Auf dem Weg zum Klima(schau-)garten“: Welche Fördermöglichkeiten gibt es für Gartenprojekte und Kleingärten? Worauf kommt es bei einem Förderantrag an?“ geben.
Dieser richtet sich insbesondere an alle Gärtnerinnen und Gärtner, die beispielsweise einen Klima-Schaugarten umsetzen wollen.

Die Einladung geht dieses Mal an einen weiteren Kreis von Studierenden und WissenschaftlerInnen der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, weswegen wir eine zeitnahe (verbindliche) Anmeldung empfehlen.

Eine Anmeldung ist möglich unter www.agrarberatung.hu-berlin.de/forschung/klimagaerten

Auch möchten wir Sie auf die Dokumentation bisheriger Veranstaltungen und unsere Themenblätter zum „(Stadt-)gärtnern im Klimawandel“ hinweisen, die Sie auf derselben Internetseite unter „Bildungsreihe (Stadt)gärtnern im Klimawandel“ bzw. unter „Veröffentlichungen“ einsehen und herunterladen können.

Im Anhang finden Sie außerdem die aktualisierte Veranstaltungsübersicht zum Forum Stadtgärtnern und zu Workshops im Rahmen der Bildungsreihe.

Wir würden uns freuen, Sie und Euch wieder begrüßen zu dürfen!
Freundliche Grüße
Eva Foos im Namen aller MitveranstalterInnen und UnterstützerInnen

P.S.: Wir bemühen uns Mehrfachsendungen zu vermeiden und bitten auftretende Dopplungen zu entschuldigen bzw. uns mitzuteilen.
P.P.S.: Wir haben Sie in unsere Mailingliste aufgenommen. Wir versenden darüber Veranstaltungshinweise im Rahmen des Projektes „Urbane Klimagärten: Bildungsinitiative in der Modellregion Berlin“. Wenn Sie nicht (mehr) darüber informiert werden möchten, teilen Sie uns dies bitte mit. Vielen Dank!

Eva Foos (M. Sc. Pflanzenbauwissenschaften)

Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin
"Urbane Klima-Gärten: eine Bildungsinitiative in der Modellregion Berlin"

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Albrecht Daniel Thaer-Institut für Agrar- und Gartenbauwissenschaften
Lehr- und Forschungsgebiet Beratung und Kommunikation
Luisenstr. 53
D-10099 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-2093-6516
Fax: +49-(0)30-2093-6512

E-Mail: eva.foos (at) agrar.hu-berlin.de
Projektseite: www.agrarberatung.hu-berlin.de/forschung/klimagaerten

Bürozeiten: in der Regel montags bis mittwochs

And @jo_stigo sent me this interesting invitation on 7. November (sadly in parallel to our launch) at the Naturkundemuseum in Berlin:

“Public Participation in Bio-Innovation”, Monday 7th November 2016, 6:30 p.m.
http://societas.biodiv.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de/?q=event-bio-innovation

I got a place but won’t be able to go, so whoever wants to take it is welcome.
My priority is to attend this event instead:

Vollversammlung des Ernährungsrates Berlin
Ungefähr einmal im Quartal gibt es eine Vollversammlung, zu der alle
Akteur*innen aus Berlin und Umland, die sich mit dem Thema Ernährung
befassen eingeladen sind. Die nächste Vollversammlung tagt am 7. November 2016 von 17-20 Uhr.

In addition, also on the 7.11. 18:00 – 20:00 there is the next of the
Werkstattgespräche urbanes Gärtnern
Seit 2012 gibt es diese vom Allmende-Kontor gemeinsam mit SenStadtUm angestoßene Runde ca. 3 mal im Jahr mit Aktiven aus Gemeinschaftsgärten und Kleingärten und der Senatsverwaltung für Stadtentwicklung und Umwelt. Bisherige Themen u.a.: Grünflächenpflege in Berlin, essbare Stadt(teile), Nutzungsverträge, IGA, kommunale Unterstützungsmodelle für urban gardening, Öffentlichkeitsarbeit. Immer mit dabei: konstruktive Kritik, streitbare Themen, Kooperation, von- und übereinander lernen. Kontakt: gartenaktivistin[at]web.de

I’ll find out who’s going of the http://www.mauergarten.net so we get information what they talked about.

Info on 6.11.2016: The Werkstattgespräch is postponed to 9.1.2017.

@transitionmica
I am happy to do this !
Perhaps it would be easier for us to meet in person and we could map out what
needs to be done and by when. I will have a look to see if I can
recommend any other food policy plans.

1 Like

Created am image (logo) to illustrate what this action is about (see top). always happy to receive feedback: is it understandable? also always happy to see anyone create a better version.

Had a chat with a guy from VHW (association for housing and city development, mainly communal) who will forward it to a lady at Degewo (largest housing company in Berlin).

AG Stadtplanung of the ‘Ernährungsrat’ (workgroup for city planning of the Food Coucil Berlin) has not managed to meet again before the general assembly that will take place on monday. This means that I wasn’t able to convince anyone to pick up the subject, so it won’t be put on the agenda and discussed in the general assembly- which means that the main Berlin network that has the explicit pupose of writng such a policy paper is not behind the project. Going on without them would look like I’m trying to establish parallel strucutres, which is the last thing I want to do. Not a good starting point.

Lesson: PATIENCE is a very necessary ingredient. Don’t race ahead before you have ensured support by the most important stakeholders.

Two days and some mails later: we might still get to talk to the AG of the Ernährungsrat after all.

Lesson: don’t give up before it’s over!

Had a very good discussion with a smaller part of the AG Stadtpalnung (working group city planning) of the Ernährungsrat (food coucil) Berlin.

Results:

• there will be a very short report to the general assembly about the discussion, so the ACTION will find it’s way into the network after all
  • it has to be emphasized that this ACTION is in NO WAY prescriptive or trying to take over the process that is going on in this council right now, which is to discuss in real life meetings a general vision, strategy and food for Berlin - being exactly what this ACTION is trying to do. Instead this process here is to be seen as a supplement, an experiment that can help to further and deepen the ongoing debate by giving the community another tool for documenting the research and the many perspectives, visions and needs within the network
  • the main interest for the AG was to extend the reach of the debate in order to include stakeholders that have not been yet active in the Ernährungsrat
  • it was criticized that the pictogram, the introduction and documentation are all in English. As until 1989 eastern Germans did mostly rather learn Russian than English at school this is a very relevant consideration. On top of this the online format and the fact that one needs to sign up to the forum and find out how it works is another obstacle. I have therefore 1. begun to translate the most important parts to have the page start in German, and will 2. mostly spread the link to the pad which is bi-lingual already and can also be used by less internet-savvy people. Nevertheless some people will most likely not contribute in this format (i.e. some alloment associations…)
  • the event in Baumhaus was also met sceptically: why should we have another meeting of this type if we are meeting for the same purpose in our own (much slower) process already. It will only be convincing if we manage to involve new stakeholders such as building societies.
  • as so often the concept of an Open Source process is alien and thus challenging for people in this subculture of environmentalism (food, gardening, composting). Why would you want to show what you’re doing to an international community? Isn’t that taking it a bit too far, overly extending the community which is debating things? How would we benefit from opening up like this? How does this method work anyways? Isn’t it terribly complicated?
1 Like

Last night I tried to pitch this ACTION at two events, both times I only got a chance at the very end when hardly anyone was paying attention and people had no energy left to give feedback. I’m not sure they got what this is about, but there were definitely more questions than enthusiasm.

General Assembly of the Food Council Berlin

• Why do an event on food policy if we are doing this already? in our own, non-open and rather slow traditional way: working groups dicuss in maybe monthly meetings and then report back to the general assembly every 3 months, where with about 50-70 participants no real discussion is possible to link the work of the groups together…
  • Why document it?
  • Why should we connect to an international audience?

Foodsharing regional meeting

• Why do something parallel to the Ernährungsrat?
  • Why do it within this Festival?
  • What do you expect us to do?

In general I think that the online collaborative format is very alien to the people I spoke to, no-one seems to see a benefit in Open Source in connection to their own environmental work (apart from OS software and Wikipedia). There was also no understanding yet in the need to close the cycle (why and how). So while there’s lot’s of good work on education, production and distribution, this aspect also needs an explanation.
There was not enough time and attention to explain the OSCEdays and the current DIF-collaboration AND explain the circular food system policy paper.

Finally posted and sent out a newsletter to the Transition Town communities in Pankow and Berlin-Bandenburg: https://ttpankow.wordpress.com/2016/11/08/circular-food-system/

Also sent out the invite to

• Ernährungsrat Berlin
  • ‘Restlos Glücklich’ Restaurant
  • Foodsharing community and yunity.org team
  • Agenda 21 Pankow
  • Berlin 21 e.V.
  • VHW (Degewo)
  • LaKuNaBi
  • Berlin.imWandel.net
  • Transition Network Berlin-Brandenburg, Transtion Network D/A/CH, Transition Network international
  • Dycle
  • Baumhaus
  • Stadt macht satt
  • Elisa Pfennig (inviting her to forward to other Green Party members)
  • Mauergarten, Bunter Garten Buchholz, KGA-Verband Weissensee
  • Undune-Filmteam
  • Eva Foos (TU Berlin)
  • Kubus (TU Berlin)
  • Gourmello e.V.
  • EcoToi
  • KanTe
  • Dachgärten für alle
  • Bürgerinitiative Bürgerpark Pankow
  • Stadtmission

Still many more to invite…

1 Like

Reactions to our invites:

http://berlin.imwandel.net/ want to do a feature on this @Lars2i , maybe you can get in touch with Luca, I gave him your mail

Comment from Eberswalde (close to Berlin in Brandenburg): bin etwas verwirrt von der Vision: Ist denn das Ziel, dass sich Berlin bis 2030 ernährungstechnisch selbst versorgt (so verstehe ich den ersten Satz)? Oder anders: macht es nicht Sinn weitestgehnde Selbstversorgung zusammen mit Brandenburg anzustreben? Bin etwas verunsichert von der Zielsetzung…

• I replied: ja, natürlich wäre Brandenburg Teil einer solchen Vision. Wenn das nicht klar wird, sollte es reingeschrieben werden. Für mich war das aus dem 50km Umkreis ersichtlich, aber du kannst es gern verbessern. Und ja, bis 2031 wäre das ein ambitioniertes Ziel, Berlin wieder regional zu versorgen, das sollte uns aber nicht davon abhalten, es so zu schreiben, oder?

Ingo has now contributed to the paper.

LaKuNaBi and Stadt macht satt and Baumhaus have already contributed to the text.

Comment via mail from Berlin-Wedding:
… Meine derzeitigen Ideen kreisen ja eher erstmal um Guerilla-Gärtner-Aktionen, weshalb sie vielleicht nicht so reinpassen in ein “offizielles” Strategiepapier, oder?

My reply:
… Es ist kein ‘offizielles’ sondern ein Transition-Strategiepapier, da ist erstmal alles erlaubt. Für mich stellt sich deshalb nur die Frage: Wie können Guerilla-Gärtner-Aktionen zur zukünftigen nachhaltigen Ernährung der Stadt Berlin in geschlossenen Nahrungs-Nährstoff-Kreisläufen beitragen. Dass sie aktuell nicht immer legal sind, spielt dabei keine Rolle. Dafür ist die 5. Spalte da: was müsste sich politisch ändern, damit dieser Beitrag zur Stadternährung überhaupt und in Zukunft besser und mehr stattfinden kann? …

Answer from VHW:
… Ihr kollaboratives Format ist spannend, ich habe gerade auch einmal in die verlinkten Dokumente geschaut. So wichtig das Thema Ernährung zweifellos ist, steht es doch nicht im Mittelpunkt der Forschungstätigkeiten des vhw. Deshalb können wir uns – schon allein aufgrund mangelnder Expertise – nicht so gut einbringen. Gleichwohl ist es auch für den Verband von großem Interesse, ob und wie gut Kollaborativformate wie das von Ihnen angestoßene funktionieren können…

My reply:
… gerade die großen Wohnungsbauunternehmen, wie sie im VHW zusammengeschlossen sind, können unserer Meinung nach einen wesentlichen Beitrag leisten, nicht nur als Teil einer urbanen Landwirtschaft mit ihren Möglichkeiten für neue Geschäftsfelder, sondern auch bei der Information und Bildung von Mietern und Gärtnern. Dies ist insbesondere in den Berliner Bezirken Pankow, Charlottenburg und Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg relevant, wo aktuell Vorschläge zur ‘Essbaren Stadt’ in den Bezirksämtern geprüft werden.
Für Ihre Teilnahme an unserem Projekt ist weniger eine Expertise im Bereich Ernährung gefragt als Ihre Erfahrung im Wohnungsbau und im Umgang mit den Mietern. Wenn in Ihrem Verband unser experimentelles Format nicht das passende ist, dann ist das für uns ein wichtiges Feedback. Ich würde gerne mit Ihnen darüber sprechen, in welcher anderen Form man evtl. besser ins Gespräch kommen könnte. Sie erreichen mich unter …

We are now invited to a VHW-networking event on the 2.12.2016

Mail from Umweltkalender:
… über Ihren Newsletter bin ich auf den Diskussionsabend „Gemeinsam für ein ‚Circular Food System‘ – Nahrung-Nährstoff-Kreislaufsystem in Berlin“ am 26.11. aufmerksam geworden. Da die Veranstaltung wunderbar in unseren Umweltkalender passt, habe ich sie als Redaktionstipp eingetragen: www.umweltkalender-berlin.de/angebote/details/49142. Ich hoffe, Sie sind mit der Darstellung einverstanden.

Der Umweltkalender Berlin ist ein Projekt der Stiftung Naturschutz Berlin. Die Online-Informationsplattform dient der Steigerung der Bekanntheit und Nachfrage des vielfältig verfügbaren Berliner Veranstaltungsprogramms im Bereich Natur und Umwelt.

Ich möchte Sie herzlich dazu einladen, künftige Veranstaltungen mit Umwelt-, Natur- oder Nachhaltigkeitsbezug selbst in unseren Umweltkalender einzutragen.
Unter folgenden Link können Sie sich kostenlos als Anbieter registrieren:
www.umweltkalender-berlin.de/anbieterbereich

1 Like

got a link posted here: FAQ – Open Labs: The Circular City – Running November 2016

Sainsbury’s offers food rescue recipies (of course the aim is to sell you the other ingredients and it’s greenwashing… but it does raise awareness with people who might otherwise not think about it):

I will pitch the Circular Food System-ACTION during the IPU-Kongress (Initiative Psychology in Environmental Protection); they meet every 6 months from all over Germany; topic this time: “From smalll steps to great visions: Creating future livable Cities with psychology” where I’m invited to give a workshop on urban gardening on Friday the 18th. Looking forward to their reactions.

P.s. result: There was some interest but the Open Source method is not really known in psychologist circles, though many knew Cradle to Cradle (not all). I did get one of the other speakers interested in the platform though.

I plan to Open Source the creative workshop format as I found it has a lot of potential.

Another related event to attend in Berlin:

http://www.hermann-henselmann-stiftung.de/Archive/941

Today we start PHASE 2 of the DIF: create an ACTION Protocol.

This means that we take all the experiences we made during the preparation of the DIF and the feedback we got during PHASE 1 (brainstorming) and condense them into the ACTION Protocol format.

As the ACTION Protocol is meant ot be for any city and not only for Berlin we have moved this to [ACTION in Development] - Write A Circular City Food Policy Paper where we created a sandpit document for all to try out their writing skills. Join in and help us!

Yet another related event I found in my inbox today:

Einladung zur Info-Veranstaltung über die Landschaftsbaumaßnahmen im Grünen Band Berlin. Es werden die Maßnahmen im Bereich des ehemaligen Mauerstreifens zwischen Klemkestraße und S-Bhf. Wilhelmsruh und vom Wilhelmsruher Damm bis Friedhof Rosenthal vorgestellt.

Datum: 29.11.2016
Zeit: 18:00 bis 19:00 Uhr
Breite Straße 24 A – 26, 13187 Berlin

Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Sie diese Information an interessierte Kreise weitereiten könnten. (meaning it’s open for anyone interested, please share the date).

started to reach out to the DIF community by searching, watching and commenting on existing related topics there such as

All related streams seem to be here: https://www.thinkdif.co/schedule/topics#food-farming, but I haven’t had a chance to check them out…

On tomorrow:

Everyone: Please add here what you find on the DIF platform and don’t hesitate to post your own cross-pollinating posts there.

Sent out a reminder-invitation for the Berlin event on Saturday and posted it on the TT Pankow-Blog and facebook:

Did sent this invite out to (almost) all of the groups/ projects and organizations/ companies I mentioned in the thread. Only a few people I know personally did respond.

On facebook it was re-posted a few times.

Next event for the list (sadly you can’t be everywhere at once):

BiwAK-Seminar: Der Stadtentwicklungsausschuss - Eine themenorientierte Einführung in die Ausschussarbeit am 26.11.2016

Der Stadtentwicklungsausschuss: Eine themenorientierte Einführung in die Ausschussarbeit

Kommunalpolitisches Seminar
Samstag, den 26. November 2016 11:00 – 16:00 Uhr
Rathaus Tiergarten, Saal der Bezirksverordnetenversammlung, Mathilde-Jacob-Platz 1, 10551 Berlin

Aufgabe der Stadtentwicklung ist die städtebauliche Planung und Entwicklung der Stadt bzw. der Quartiere mit ihren räumlichen und sozialen Strukturen. Sie schafft damit die planungsrechtlichen Voraussetzungen für die bauliche Entwicklung der Stadt und die Fortentwicklung der städtischen Infrastruktur.

Wir möchten Ihnen einen Einblick geben in die Arbeit des Stadtentwicklungsamtes sowie in die Aufgaben des begleitenden Ausschusses. Dabei werden die gesetzlichen Grundlagen und planerischen Instrumente vorgestellt. Einzelne Fallbeispiele sollen Ihnen einen anschaulichen Einstieg möglich machen.

Mit:

• Jochen Biedermann, in der VII. Wahlperiode Vorsitzender des Stadtentwicklungsausschusses in Neukölln, jetzt Bezirksstadtrat für Stadtentwicklung, Soziales und Bürgerdienste (Bündnis 90/Die Grünen)
  • Nadine Fehlert, Jahn, Mack & Partner architektur und stadtplanung
  • Nicole Kirschbaum, Jahn, Mack & Partner architektur und stadtplanung
  • Hans Panhoff, Bezirksstadtrat für Planen, Bauen und Umwelt in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg (Bündnis 90/Die Grünen)
  • Ulrike Zeidler, Leiterin des Stadtentwicklungsamtes in Treptow-Köpenick
  • Moderation: Cornelius Bechtler, BiwAK e.V.

Teilnahmegebühr: 15,- € (Mitglieder und ermäßigt 10,- €). Wir bitten um die Überweisung des Teilnahmebeitrags. Eine Anmeldung ist erforderlich.

Bildungswerk für Alternative Kommunalpolitik (BiwAK) e.V. Sebastianstraße 21, 10179 Berlin.

Wenn Sie Informationen über Veranstaltungen von BiwAK e.V. nicht mehr erhalten wollen, schicken Sie uns bitte eine E-Mail an info@biwak-ev.de.