ACTION – Prototype A Circular Product MOD+Re+Co

#Introduction

In a discussion in November 2016 Ricardo shared his idea that a sustainable/circular product …

And he went on:

(…)

MOD or mod - being a main element, its useful life should be extended since it should serve as a matrix for new products, where possible tending to an infinite (impossible) life that allows to be used and reconfigured countless times.

Re- These parts that cannot have an extended life time, either by technical characteristics (such as being in contact with food or because they are programmed to suffer some type of wear) or because their duration can not be controlled, must be designed with materials that come from recycling processes or that come from other productive cycles.

Co- The latter are pieces that can not definitively be reused or that their materials can not be recovered. (…) Must be used for the generation of energy within the productive processes or for the production of organic materials inside or outside other productive cycles, as fertilizer that allows the growth of this organic material. The ultimate goal of this type of product should be to minimize its impact on the environment.

A last important point of this approach is that it must use associated service models that allow the recovery of these components and allow producers and customers to understand how their role is vital to the operation of the system and that the loss of materials are Reduced to the maximum.

We discovered that this is a perfect and simple frame to inspire people to come up with a circular product so we decided to turn it into an ACTION and grow a list with examples about Re-, Co- & Mod- as part of it.

So here are some hypothetical steps to do when you want to test this idea:

#STEPS

Don’t mind the order.

##Step 1 – Decide for materials & systems

Decide about your Co-, your Re- & your MOD-. Study the introduction aboveand the list of examples below.

Think about sourcing the materials and parts. Can you get your hands on them? Can you produce them yourself? Maybe you can use strategies like Urban Mining.

Study the green categories on this forum to find some inspiration. For example the open collection on modularity.

##Step 2 – Decide for a product to develop

Decide what product or object you are want to build. Can be something big or something small, something useful or just fun, something you need a present, can be a simple product or a more complex one.

Think about the tools you are going to need or use. Do you have them available? Also: do you have the necessary expertise for the design and building process or know how to get it?

Step 1 & 2 affect each other. The product might depend on the material & parts, you can get your hands on. Or the materials might depend on the product you want to build. Or the product and the materials depend on the tools you have at hand or want to use.

##Step 3 – Prototype and share

Start building it. Share information about your progress as early as possible. Go the Open Source way. Let us know about it by posting a link to your documentation or announcements below.

(How to document properly? Study the Best Practices For Open Source Hardware & the WAYS TO DOCUMENT topic for further inspiration.)

_

##Attached Resources

Check & DOWNLOAD This Overview (Preview does not show everything):

2 Likes

this is a list of some examples of modular projects. some have a product architecture similar to MOD - RE - CO some just the concept of modularity or recycle or compost, but the important is to allow get a better understand of modularity.

thanks to core77.

Modular earphones: this project allows to changes and adapt the product to your specifics needs.

the MOD part can be the HEADBAND
the other parts can be the RE
the package (see extra) and earpads can be CO

http://designawards.core77.com/Open-Design/51264/TMA-2-Modular-Headphone-System

also and extra: molular package for this product

POWER STRIP: i love this one. with a basis MOD, you can configure the product to plug any device (RE) you have and allows to adapt to any tecnology (of power transmition)

clock BLOCKS: very similar to PROJECT ARA ans architecture of MOD and RE (with the problem of recuperate the materials of all the electronic systems, not so recycle)

powering outdoor: why buy different products with similar powering thecnology if i can’t use it at the same time? the only modular part is the battery.

modular furniture: this one is very beautiful, made with natural and recycle materials

CO PARTS:

compost furniture

composting 3d printed shoes

modular shoes
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carnegie-mellon-university/the-modular-shoe-children_b_5290112.html

modular clothes

ECOVATIVE: A company than create products with compostable material.

http://giy.ecovativedesign.com/#what

2 Likes

Now i present other project than we are develop here in Colombia.

This project started during the OSCED event of this year, and is the collaboration of different teams, engineers, fablabs, designers, and in the next months we will start the testing stage with doctors and physiotherapists.

What he is looking for is the development of lower limb prosthesis (1) for people of limited resources, made from recycled materials, and that its parts are replaceable as the pacemaker requires it: for example, several of the users are children who, as they grow They are difficult to use an item that does not grow with them.

These are images of some of the many elements of which are not modular at all (2), I mean that they are only assembled together, but can be replaced and adapted according to the needs of the child. other parts are designed to suffer wear(3) and can be replaced without causing damage to other parts.

Another element we want is that the connection elements are commercial and cheap, so that a person can even approach a hardware store (if possible)
And replace the worn part. This process has been worked openly here, and will soon be available to all, once we have some results of checks to verify their correct operation.

3 Likes

Hello @RicardoRug, I like this project. Do you have an public Portfolio / Website for this project? I like to share it with some similiar projects in Germany.
Best Iris

2 Likes

Hello, we have a Google Drive group where we share all the information. I can prepare you a document explaining the whole development in a better way.

3 Likes

Sounds good.
Can I get an invite for the group, maybe I can share some engineering ideas.

1 Like

i sent you and invitation.

Also, from 20 to 31 March we will carry out this action as an academic exercise at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogota, Colombia, the idea is to develop products with a theme (which may be technologies for the elimination of poverty, or Which help to develop sustainable development goals) with a group of 60 people.

We would like you to participate and accompany this process, either by evaluating the ideas, guiding and explaining the goal of an OSCE product, or helping the students to develop their concepts.

2 Likes

@iwess @Lars2i @transitionmaike @Silvia@BoST

Hello everyone. In March I will carry out an academic work of my sustainable design course for the university: a 2 week workshop in which I proposed to the students to develop the prototipes within this activity MOD RE CO and following the parameters of this Circular product activity.

For the development of the activity and help to unify the presentation a little, i create for the students a list and a format with the minimum parameters that must be presented and taken into account in the proposal.

To help visualize the OSCED network and hear other voices on the subject, I would like to propose to each one of you, to record a very short video about what OSCED is, why consider that a modular product can be positive for a more open economy and a mayor Sustainable impact and finally invite them to continue to propose projects of this type and actively participate in the OSCE days. Maximum 1 minute (I would like it to be live but because of the problems that are normally presented in the university network, I think it would be better by this means).

On the other hand, if you want, i invite you to evaluate the projects on the last day of the workshop and give them their particular vision on the work of each proposal, which remained on the OSCED platform. (this can be by hangouts)

Many thanks

2 Likes

This are the parameters of the ACTION MOD - RE - CO Academic Version to be held from 27 March to 7 April during an academic work in the course of sustainable design of the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá.

We invite you to participate by helping to evaluate the projects and also to make comments that allow students to improve the prototypes and concepts developed.

the documents for the description of the activitie and the documentation are these two:

documentacion mod re co.pdf (347.5 KB)
MOD RE CO Workshop.pdf (2.2 MB)

3 Likes

How? Where? Everyone in the OSCED community? Will this be in English (my Spanish is marginal)?

For all in the community, will be in english, in Colombia we will work in a class from university called, Sustainable Design. we will be conected and document all the activities from march 27 to april 7. All the community was invited to participate, evaluate, give feedback and help or participate with the students to develop the activity.

This is now added to the OSCEdays website :slight_smile:

Work carried out in the subject of sustainable design of the Javeriana university
MARIO GOMEZ - CAMILA RUANO - MARIA CAMILA LEAL

1 Like

Hello, we are
BLUEGREEN.

An interdisciplinary team developing Decomposit.

This is a container with two compartments destined to process household waste through crushing. This turns the residue of the organic material into compost and the plastic elements into plástic filaments that can be later on used or recycled.

BLUEGREEN.pdf (1.9 MB)

1 Like

Hello we are
LUMINA
members: Daniela Rojas, Camila Guerrero, Yuly castro y Laura Daza
Category: lighting
Product name: T- Angulo
Description: Modular system that works from solar light, cosnta of a solar panel that will be located in the external part of the infrastructure, a rechargeable base that is located in the internal part of the infrastructure and the movable light modules.

ECO - TABLE
Coffee table for rooms or studios where you will find a variety of plants to decorate the space, made by modules that allow the table to be assembled in different ways

María Elvira Ortega, María Alejandra Roldán, Camila Cardozo, Cristhian Lagos, María Juliana Cortes, Oscar Rios, Alejandro Benavides.

1 Like

Hi my group name is: Jardineros

The product we are developing is: Integrated garden kit

Description: The product consists of a kit, through which people living in rural homes, will be able to find the tools and solutions that will allow them to have a system of irrigation of their plants, orchard, or whatever they have in the garden, through Of a system of recollection of rainwater distributing the collection in the desired way and in the moments that you want. In addition, the kit has a tool that can vary its function according to the purpose to be sought, for this has different parts that fit the base of the tool. Finally, it also has a container through which you can transport the fertilizer that can be cultivated with the irrigation system that protects and maintains optimal conditions for growth, transportation of garden supplies, plants, etc.
MOD RE CO Planwa.pdf (914.8 KB)
MOD RE CO (2).pdf (2.8 MB)

2 Likes

MOD RE CO Planwa.pdf (914.8 KB)